An Evaluation of Magnesol® as an Adsorbent Media for Solid Phase Extraction

I think if you read on this forum, it’s generally regarded that Magnesium Silicate (Magnesol and MagSilPr) remove terps, not leave them unaltered.

1 Like

For some reason I was reading this as magsil not magnesol
My bad

1 Like

I don’t know the difference, to be honest, but they are both Magnesium Silicate products, right? Obviously magnesol is geared for your chicken fryer, not your pesticide content, but I imagine they function similarly.

I believe that magsil is activated while magnesol is not

1 Like

What type of “terps”?

The terps in your biomass, what other kind? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The barest, 3 second googling reveals this post from 2019 by King of the Kush

Magsil grabs terpenes so yea unless you want to remove pesticides in CRC or by doing chromatography then dont use it.

Moved post

2 Likes

Using posts on this forum as evidence is going to lead you in circles. Mag sil may have some interaction with the terpenes that has to do with its activation but look at the properties of the media

Silica 60 and magnesol should allow the non polar terpenes to flow right through. I would bet the same is true for mag sil but it may alter other flavor components and filtering in heptane kind of ruins the chances for terpene retention here anyways.

Linalool, the only desirable alcohol terpene I can think of that might be more polar than THC, would be an interesting one to look at with different mobile phase methods

6 Likes

Yes if you look at the chemical structure of magnesium chloride (and speculate about the
hydrated state magnesol or mag sil is in, or the lack thereof, ““activated”” )…and
if you have studied the spectrum of “terpenes” associated with flowering marijuana
plants, you might wonder about the statement… “magnesium silicate remove terps”.

Perhaps SeedlessAnalyical’s statement should be considered a better guess?

as AlexSiegel points out: Think Silica contaminated with the Mg++ counterion , acting as an ion exchanger
in addition to the normal phase interactions silica-polymers…
I don’t see the terpenes wanting to “stick around,” punning.
However, if you take a close look at the Marijuana list of terpenes here:
The Cannabis Terpenes - PMC (a nice 2020 review )
you see a number of terps with alcohol moieties …these may intereact a bit?

The mag silicate effect may not be too different than the early work out of Mississippi
where they used “sand” to separate neutrals from acidics. Sand is a polysilicate adsorption surface contaminated with everything ! …and from there just extend your thoughts to
the variiety of inorgainic “filtering agents” in popular use…diatomaceous earths and bentonite clays, etc…charcoal/ Alunina oxides being the exceptions offering alternative
adsoption isotherms.

This does not mean that we should disregard the potential of Magnesol acting as
a catalyst in the sense of Terpene degradation. The terps may well disappear.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233585196_Transformations_of_Terpenoids_on_Acidic_Clays

2 Likes

“Should” is a great way to get led in circles as well, and ignore what we are ignorant of.

1 Like

Seems like a good use of should to me. It displays that I don’t feel that I’m stating an absolute truth. It should be true based on the chemistry of the media.

You’re right I could have explained why in the conment

2 Likes

You could make an organoleptic assesment of terpenes before throwing them in a GC…:slight_smile:

Edit: it would be also nice if the factor would be solvent, no @MagisterChemist

I can guarantee silica will eat into your desirable aroma and create a bland, grey-diet chicken nugget for the fam

1 Like

Awesome Presentation this is great work

1 Like

Can you elute it put with alcholhhols?

Not exactly sure what you meant, but I think you’re asking if you can clean the Magnesol with alcohol. Yes, alcohols (ethanol, isopropanol) will force the majority of the contaminants to elute. A dark-brown slug of contaminants will elute very quickly after the addition of alcohol. Just make sure you don’t use methanol, as it is not miscible with heptane.

2 Likes

Which is why color remediation in ethanol is an entirely different trick…

ssshh…don’t tell folks they can reuse their magic dirt…you’ll put the powder slingers out of business.

7 Likes

if i had the time and energy id start a waste handling biz just for cannabis processors. tons of opportunity to turn trash into treasure and in some cases offer “reclaimed” products as well

3 Likes

I made this slab from cleaning my dirty jars. Who wouldn’t like to bring in their dirty glassware and exchange it for clean glassware.

9 Likes

This is awesome, thank you for gathering and presenting it so clearly

3 Likes