Amino acids increase the production of more terpenes

Source from Amino Acid Supplementation as a Biostimulant in Medical Cannabis (Cannabis sativa L.) Plant Nutrition - PMC

What is your opinion?

1 Like

Have you ever run down the cryptochrome and phytochrome rabbit hole? Phytochrome controls PR/PFR conformity, and Cryptochrome controls circadian rhythm and photomorphogenesis.

Cryptochrome is controlled by UV light

Phytochrome is controlled by FR light

Combined with acids, and high quality light, those two chemicals fuel many process, which will give you much louder tree than without the acids.

Acids are the building blocks of life. All protiens come from acids. The trick with this is that plants can’t make all they need, and animals can’t either.

10 Likes

It made me have to google to find out what cryptochrome and phytochrome are hahaha what kind of amino acid do you supplement in soilless media, does yeast amino acid work

RAW Aminos and AGT-50

Play around and experiment!

2 Likes

those two have been discussed here as well….

Plant Photoperception
And The green light myth: It's not 'safe' at night

Would be decent starting points.

3 Likes

Mendocino producers choice (grow more) has some amino acid called Fuego I believe. Worked well til I used their jump start which has aminos and kelp. Foliar with a fulvic acid and your should be set. I used it on clones to get them started and only requires a couple ml per gallon.

1 Like

Interpreting the results of a paper like this is complicated, because the results themselves are far from clear. The conclusions on the paper itself start with a sentence to make it explicit that this is the case:

The exact relationship between the content of secondary metabolites and the nutritional supplements remains unclear.

They observe a mixture of effects that show that the amino-acid supplements do something, but that what they do is hard to predict.

The difference between their drain-to-waste and recirculating treatments are quite stark, which supports the notion that amino-acids in solution will react - due to their interactions with microbes and metallic ions - so having them in a solution for a short or a long amount of time will play a big role in determining their effect.

The effects on maturity - which were also dependent on drain-to-waste vs recirculating - also points to some hormonal effects happening that are also triggered differently depending on how the amino acid concentration and reaction products change through time.

An important point is also that the study did not include nitrate and ammonium controls to match total nitrogen, so some of the effects observed are also the effects of additional nitrogen nutrition as well. The drop in THCA is also often observed in plants under higher nitrogen feeding.

Amino acid supplement studies often have results like these. Since the mixture of things you provide is so complex, the effects are also complex. Studies that use a single amino acid often give cleaner results, since the effects of a single molecule are usually more straightforward to understand than the mixed effect of a lot of them.

Overall, this study does not provide evidence to support doing amino-acid supplementation of cannabis plants. The study shows amino acids do something, but that can be very different depending on how you’re feeding them and not necessarily positive. Big effects on your THCA, your time to maturity and your terpenes are all possible.

5 Likes

This is exactly why I don’t give away everything, and I suggested experimentation.

Lots and lots of studies based around feed, phosphorous, nitrogen, fulvic and amino acids… Almost all the studies fucking suck as far as proving anything. To think that you could change a single input and prove results is almost comical. These plants are a fucking symphony. Having only one instrument in tune doesn’t do a whole lot for the overall sound.

4 Likes

Bear in mind that the objective of these studies is not to “prove” anything. It is to understand how a system responds to different changes. A careful interpretation of these studies often gives invaluable information, but they don’t just say “Do A and you get B”, as you point out.

4 Likes

I watched the latest mr grow it talk talk from harley smith NPK in dustries. He said that glutamic acid and glycine will help in high calcium absorption. Can we play it in coco

I would first get a tissue analysis to see if you actually need more Ca. There is no point in trying to enhance the uptake of a nutrient “just because”.

3 Likes

I say enhance the uptake. Play around. Make sure the ladies are putting in work though.

1 Like