Am i on the right path?

Are you planning to put dry ice in your ethanol?

If so don’t

You’ll acidify the crude and make d8

2 Likes

I should note i plan on working with t free cbd so d8 shouldn’t be a problem snd a benefit if anything :slight_smile:

Just because it’s “thc free” doesn’t mean it won’t convert to D8. Most guys on here including myself use isolated cbd as the main ingredient when converting to Delta 8.

All in all what you’ve listed will work. Keep your etoh as cold as possible ALL the way through extraction.

Just please educate yourself on how to safely and efficiently remove all volatiles during the first part of distillation or you will have a huge mess.

1 Like

Is there a “rotovap step” in there somewhere?

If not, you can use your SPD to separate your ethanol. Just watch for puking!

3 Likes

Back in the day, we would chill out ethanol in a dry ice bath (kettle of ethanol in giant bucket of dry ice) just because the only access we had to dry ice was from the local steel mills and that shit was dirtier then my ex.

5 Likes

You have a long way to go still on this one unfortunately. There is no way you are working with t free cbd straight from the plant and if you are I’ll buy some genetics. You have missed several very important steps in your process and some steps have been minimized when they are really more like 10 steps.

This is 2 entire SOPs not one of 3 steps to make 90% disty.

There is tons of info available here if you just keep reading and people who are well qualified to help if you’re willing to pay.

1 Like

Is there any difference in steps when distilling the head fraction or is it same temps as normal just being more slow and and cautious

There’s LOTS of steps. Distillation requires in depth knowledge of vacuum, heat, flow etc.
I hate to sound pretentious, but if you utilize the search function you can find EVERYTHING you need to mfg what you’re after.

1 Like

No rotovap or panda dryer just good ole buckets and dryice. That watery solution should turn more viscous as some of the etoh starts to boil off during decarb anyway correct? Then the rest can be distilled out with spd?

So whats the difference? Ive read up on spd and have a good understanding but its when it comes to this solution im asking about that idk if it would work ive searched amd cant find the info im looking for which is why I decided to make my own thread.

Where are you located @shaby ? You’re probably gunna benefit a lot if you can afford to throw a few bucks at a consultation. If you’re not close enough to any members here that can help I’m happy to get in a phone call with you today for a $100 or something and give yah the whole picture

5 Likes

No no & no!!

Yes, you can recover your solvent in an spd… After recovering 10 spd’fuls you might have enough crude for a run.

Even if you’ve got this down and are extracting 1lb of 20% biomass into a liter of ethanol, the tincture you’ve made is AT MOST 0.2x 454/1000 == 90mg/ml THC

So putting 10liters (1liter at a time) through your 2l SPD would be required to get a decent (1200g) loading.

Edit: see you’ve got a 5L. Doesn’t change the ratios… still need to evaporate at least 10 1/2 full SPDs to get enough crude to 1/2 fill the spd.

…and that’s assuming a highly efficient extraction. Chances are you’re looking at 3x that.

3 Likes

Ah okay i see what youre saying. Its just too much etoh in the mix to get anything out of it. So whats the best way to get into this because I’m thinking slowly boiling off etoh over low heat and then once its a little thicker then put into spd but i feel its not that simple.

1 Like

Just as with a CLS, recovering your solvent is strongly advised.

See: Who is king of EToH Recovery? for some clues.

1 Like

A cheap roto vap and a water aspirator pump will pay for it self in solvent saved pretty quick. And it will save you 5 days in your SPD

3 Likes

There are other options…

@shaby read more. THEN ask questions. Read whole threads. Follow some of the links right below the first post.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Yup just was reading thru and watching the video on how to make the beer keg distiller. Thats my best bet on a budget

Unlike recovering butane, it’s not rocket surgery…

@cyclopath @ky_cbd glad you guys hopped in to help get this dude on the right path, @shaby if you want to get on the right path listen to and read closely everything these gentlemen share with you and if you can afford it pay them for some time and I assure you it will be worth it 10x

3 Likes