Alternate solvent extraction

Fuck solvent.

Has anyone evaporated cannabanoids from biomass?

why yes, yes they have…

5 Likes

Good rosin going for top dollar maybe u could figure out how to run a good squisher

@SubstituteCreature can produce a saucy rosin all day and id Dab it…and rosin done right and jar cured it fetches quiet the price and no solvent is involved

1 Like

I love how nobody has mentioned Co2 yet :rofl: :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Idk how I feel about co2…the pressure being so high, and all I’ve seen outta the best cow is crude or some terps that are missing something

2 Likes

Best shatter ive ever had was out of a vitalis Co2 rig, the entire run produced maybe 50gr of shatter and the rest was baby puke

Sadly tho ime, Co2 efficiency is not there due to its lack of selective polarity

3 Likes

you did READ the original post?

@Myrrdin one could also argue that CO2, in addition to being stupidly expensive well before “higher-throughput”, also requires Ethanol for post processing in most use cases.

@tree_technician

Direct distillation of cannabinoids from biomass is probably not particularly viable, but has absolutely been achieved. it doesn’t require solvent, and most of the gear can be repurposed for solvent extraction/recovery once solvent IS allowed (permits are acquired).

Steam distillation is another option, or twist on “direct from biomass”. terps can be had. cannabinoids too. probably: Steam Distilled Cannabinoids

you might be better off (have an easier time/shallower learning curve) just aiming at terps. (though that doesn’t work with the low quality biomass).

@StoneD you’ve been huffing squish again haven’t you?

2 Likes

4 Likes

I did make a big vat of lye and water earlier w no PPE.:pleading_face:. About passed out over the vinegar cook though
Making collard greens lol or collard purples…

Ur right I completely read that as bubble has to full melt for some reason

1 Like

have you tried a Terp and cannabinoid distillation of the rosin?

3 Likes

Is there any other explanation for co2 being a thing beyond PT Barnum?
From my understanding there are no benefits over a solvent based extraction, or even mechanical

We run CO2 with ethanol winterization without a C1D2. The small volumes of ethanol required for process don’t interfere with fire codes.

2 Likes

Subcritical extraction for terpenes is something not as easily replicable with other methods. The main use of CO2 is easy vape pens.

1 Like

I like the mct oil route personally, but it’s weird how many people say mct oil is bad for them. I dunno if that’s just low-grade mct oil or if it’s just got allergens.

Hot CBD distillate is a funny idea because of the low price of hemp oil but I stop liking it the longer I think about it.

Maybe we could pull off steam distillation with our solvent extractor… it’s a precision x40. And then short path the water out.

Some of the team thought I’d be doing terp and cannabinoid distillation of the rosin but there’s just not enough and, imo, rosin is a better product than distillate.

Technically, I’ve got two teledyne pumps in my garage. Each could hold 20 gallons of co2 at 5,000psi but I don’t have the rest of the system. For what it’s worth, some of my buddies in Desert Hot Springs used to do a cold co2 extract and then pour the oleoresin straight into the pope before rectifying in a brinstrument. So no ethanol.

There’s a lot of hand-me-down stuff just collecting dust in a warehouse, it’s not a deep pockets type of situation.

2 Likes

Maybe.
Do you have the steam generator?
The hutzpah to build one?

Pretty sure it would be easier to use it with oil (MCT/Coconut/Olive/hemp seed).

See: Lipid infusion with hydrocarbon material columns

Couple of plumbing mods that would make it easier. Be happy to walk you through them.

Back in California I remember seeing products like infused olive oil at the dispensary. I remember them not selling but assumed it was due to the bad label which only reported the quantity of flower extracted instead of the potency.

Running MCT/Coconut/Olive/hempseed oil is all fine and well, but it lends directly to why the extraction is apart of the product formulation since each oil limits what products can be made from it.

As much fun as it will be to make those steam modifications, I first need to do more research on whether this is a viable regulatory work around. It’s the county that’s holding the red tape at this point so the state could be amenable if this solution isn’t already in the clear.

Even though this idea might not be viable, I’m tempted to try to distill the terps off biomass until there’s enough to do the solvent extraction with it to get the cannabinoids.

1 Like

sounds like a decent plan
there are rumors it’s not that hard :shushing_face:

success is high value.

…and so long as you don’t destroy the cannabinoids along the way (and document in METRC that “nah, we keeping this shit, it ain’t extracted fully yet”), you’ve got little to loose.

1 Like

@batsona can you tell us more about this vapor static magnetic extraction system you helped to design?

3 Likes

The ‘static’ part – using an electrostatic precipitator to collect the product mist – was my idea. (ESP is a tried and true, scalable method for collecting liquid or solid particles.) But then our company split and the half that I chose to stick with ultimately never had the resources or to pursue the pilot system I put together. The other half did, got a patent, and may or may not have sold their behemoth system. Now, my view is there’s another group out there (see goloxley.com) that has a better handle on the direct biomass distillation process that isn’t even using ESP.

5 Likes

its probably not a scalable solution but… I toured a farm once that water cured whole plants for lipid/lipid extraction they would dip fresh harvested plants in a mix of sodium borate and hydrogen peroxide to supposedly kill any spores on the plants. than stacked the plants in 55 gallon drums in a walk in cooler filled the drums with filtered water and let soak for 10 days changing the water once a day, after 10 days the plants were hung to dry in a in a heated room with a dehumidifier and dried like normal. they used squalene oil, and c8 mct for there extractions in heated kettles and filtered with a bladder style wine press. decarbed in the oil called it pasteurization bottled and sold. it was a pretty sketchy outfit but honestly the tincture was light in color and a decent flavor. just so much waisted water.

1 Like

What was the approximate size/scale of the process that you worked on? I see many ESPs are either behemoths or are used for air purification. I worked on gel electrophoresis in college and this ESP is very similar.

I’m not sure if this technique will work at the 10lbs biomass level, but it’s interesting.