advice on irrigation?- mainly emitters

Ya its called centrifugal or something. It comes out pretty high pressure so most little stuff gets blasted thru. I would use drip clean tho if ure adding anything murky to the water

1 Like

Howdy :cowboy_hat_face:

Oh I’m getting it done for sure. Today I’m installing a 1 1/2” pvc trunk line from my well house up the hill, which will fill several water storage tanks. Those tanks will be plumbed together into a booster pump and into the 3/4” black tubing. I’ve done this before so it’s all fun, just shopping for emitters. Thanks guys :):slight_smile: I appreciate all of you

3 Likes

Crushhhh it! Take photos :slight_smile:

Will do! I always like to follow up on my inquiries because somewhere down the line someone will find this post and be able to gain some knowledge from it

2 Likes

Theres this one too for the poverty tek

1 Like

I went with this hookup from netafim for my next round of testers. Same drip stake ive been using but pre assembled with a 4’ lead and a .5gal pressure
compensating dripper

@gemini has something similar but we made it. I dont know if it was worth the hassle we will c

1 Like

Get it!! Looks great!

1 Like

very interested in this topic. Does anyone use blumats at all? They seem to be a good solution but at the same time have their downsides. I’m looking to provide a more consistent water flow to the plants with as little input as possible so I’ve been considering them. I have a bunch of unused drippers i might rig up though too, they just don’t come with any sort of moisture sensors.

1 Like

I use blumats. I love em.

2 Likes

I think blumats are good for locations where electricity is unavailable.

Its hard to compare them to a fertigation system though.

totally depends on your setup and goals though.

1 Like

I don’t have any experience with automated watering, but these always appealed to me. Any reason why they weren’t suggested?

1 Like

how does electricity determine if you use them or not, is that for not needing pumps? My main interest is in the moisture sensors. Are there other types of sensors out there that run on electricity?

The blumats ive seen operate without electricity, the “carrot” goes in the substrate, when the substrate is dry the carrot opens a valve, liquid is supplied from a reservoir higher than the carrot.

There are many moisture sensors that run on electricity. What unit of measure are you looking for?

1 Like

Glad to see this post developing more ideas and suggestions. I’d like to see the botany section of this site grow :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think we’re on different pages haha, I was trying to get some more info on what the alternatives are. I know how the blumats operate, was more curious about other kinds of moisture sensors that aren’t blumats? I’ve been pretty sold on them for quite a while now, but if there’s other options out there I definitely want to research them.

I Just re-read your post and noticed you mentioned fertigation. I’ve honestly never heard that term before so I glossed over it. Got some reading to do for the rest of the day haha

1 Like

There are a lot of different types of soil moisture sensors. I’ve tried a few.

I have some Watermark sensors. Not easy to work with.

A few other cheap and homemade ones.

Also have a vegetronix

I have a bunch of Xiaomi mi flora senors.

They are Bluetooth, and there are open source projects around reading them instead of using the app. Think I am using this one.

2 Likes

I use both powered and gravity fed systems. I much prefer the gravity fed ones. I’ve been using blumats for like 10 years and prefer a well tuned blumat system over any drip irrigation system I’ve ever used… I run recycled coir, the same mass of coir for 5 years so far.

1 Like

I’ve had a totally different experience with blumats. I loved them when they were pressurized at 15 psi but when they were on gravity fed they were worthless. Also I recommend using two carrots per pot. You’ll run into a lot less problems. They definitely aren’t set it and forget it tho I’d typically have to adjust a couple a day on 40 plants so.

It’s all in the setup. And of course, to each their own…

1 Like