Acidification of Ethanol During Extraction

So…
Small scale you should probably re-use/refresh.

It’s a numbers game the bigger you go, economies of scale get real fun.

You can probably buy 10,000L of ethanol for under $3/L in bulk. The capital requires to remediate that much ethanol readily; plus the power requirements, potential hazard ratings, space, permits, cost of capital, etc.

Sometimes it pays to leave some things up to professionals. But it’s undoubtedly an engineering question with a long varying answer.

7 Likes

That’s pretty much the long and short of it.

1 Like

Yes to PRODUCE ethanol- you are not producing ethanol if you purchased it and paid the tax on it, you are simply running a process that is covered by your MJ/hemp liscense.

3 Likes

$1.70 Canadian if you’re buying 25k L at a time.

3 Likes

Doing this by loading like 2kg of sieve into the 20L roto rotating flask and redistilling as it’s rotating. I keep my temps on the bath at like 55-60°C

2 Likes

How many gal does this last for?

I usually reproof 5gal with 2kg of my sieve. I then dump out spent sieve and pour in fresh to keep going. Spent sieve is recharged in vac oven.

2 Likes

One thing I am working on that is simple and straight forward but I haven’t heard anyone talking about it is buffering the solution during the LPE.

Good idea but need to know the direction fuels are going…Ethanol seems to be on the way out as an additive to our gasoline. We have advanced quite well past four years with discovery of better fuels - carbon emissions, MPG etc…

Ethanol can be made from renewable resources or byproducts easily and cheaply by just about anyone. You can run a standard engine on up to 40% ethanol without modifications, planes, cars, tractors, and anything else that has a engine can be powered with ethanol. I could start manufacturing my own ethanol without much difficulty, generating hydrocarbons would be extremely difficult I imagine.
But change my mind! Why is ethanol on the way out? Whats better for fuel emissions and how is using hydrocarbon fuels less impactful than using ethanol as a gas for powering engines?

1 Like

Yo, call me back

1 Like

Would you not end up huffing your buffer?

You say in the initial post that the ethanol became acidic after the initial extraction. I was wondering if you were starting with fresh solvent, and also what’s “very low” ph? My earlier responses apply to ethanol solutions over time as they absorb more water and other things.

Wouldn’t rotovaping the etoh keep the water nasties in the bf and not in the recieving flask?

I always check the proof of my return etoh, it’s always sittings at 195-200.

200 proof food grade starting etoh. Used for 3 washes so far.

I may or may not be in Oil and Gas. I’m not saying your wrong. DM me.

Sorry buddy a chaotic couple of weeks, Ill give you a call this evening and shoot over the email

1 Like

Was legit worried you were dead, or worse

1 Like

So has anyone figured out a way to remediate the ethanol in a cost effective way to purify the ethanol back to 95 percent

Mol sieves
3a iirc

1 Like