A pint is a pound the world around . . . or is it?

I am working on a throughput calculator to assist some of my customers in facilities and equipment planning. Everyone gives me Pounds in but wants kilos out. Should I convert right before extraction or can I convert later on. Is a pint of oil a pound?

PS, feel free to stop me if you already have something like this . . .

5 Likes

In the lab I work in, we convert all measurements to the metric system right before extraction if the biomass didn’t already come in that way. Why anyone still insists on using the (not so) “standard” system is beyond me. For me, it helps to not use it past intake. The conversion, however, can happen anywhere without ill effect. Getting people in the habbit of doing it earlier in their processes may also be of benefit, as calculations tend to be easier (or at least make your job a bit easier).

Our oil can vary in weight but most always weighs just over 1 g/ml for crude (up to about 1.1). When mixed into MCT, it almost always weighs out to exactly 0.955 g/ml (the listed weight for MCT). Almond oil, grapeseed oil, vegetable oil, etc all have different weights, as do cannabis oils. We do all of our formulations by weight, and it has been my experience that while oils tend to weigh close to the same, those small differences matter. Generalizations are fine for most of the world, but I need for greater precision in my lab.

Hope that helps and doesn’t make me look as much of an ass as I feel writing it out and reading it to myself.

14 Likes

Such precision…
Can it be had by the unbalanced?

5 Likes

Probably not, but we sure as hell can try…

1 Like

Volume is for standardized products, not for those with ever changing composition. We need to get rid of pounds altogether. It only still exists due to the black market. Not many producers of real products buying quarter and half pounds, so why not just do everything metric?

4 Likes

I believe a pint is slightly over 453.59g or 1 pound generally

Pounds work better in the boardroom. Kilo’s work better in the lab

3 Likes

The first conversion is to Pounds to Kilos, then everything else will follow. I’ll keep you posted!

1 Like

Isn’t it just lb x 2.2, equals a kilo, or am I misunderstanding the question.

3 Likes

Metric or bust. Anyone in the board room who can’t keep up with kilos needs to apply at the closest fast food restaurant instead.

7 Likes

No, you are right. I will convert the biomass. @sidco can I attach an excel sheet here for people to see what I am working on?

2 Likes

I made it more complicated than I needed to by asking about when to convert. I will convert right at Biomass. Now I am just working on the yield and loss calculations.

6 Likes

To convert (lbs) into kilograms (kg), multiply by 0.4536 example
1 pound (lbs) × 0.4536 = 0.4536 kilograms (kg).

3 Likes

A pint is a measure of volume. A pound is a measure of weight. Apples and oranges. You would need to know the density of the oil to convert. Don’t you have a scale to just measure the weight?

Which means a liter & a kg are in fact fairly decent proxies when dealing with our particular “oil”.

5 Likes

I know that they say that the correct # is 0.45359237 . . . or basically 0.4536 It seemed to me that the conversion should actually be .4545 I guess that’s why i’m not a mathematician!

1 Like

Yes it’s very close which is why the math works