A (likely) unsolvable problem with ethanol extraction (keep them terps!)

Yes i have read that to thats why i want to
Dillute If neccesary :fist_right:
Treu not much to be found
But i really think that more can be done with butane
The vapor pressure is the same as the tapwater pressure even lower :grinning:

3 Likes

Question how is iT that extracted oils with alkanes still have water solubles in them
Never gave iT much tought but i did a pentane extraction and with. Water , and Brine rinsing several things came out

2 Likes

I think the concept of polarity makes more sense when you think about like its all about a matter of relativity. Even if a solvent is very non polar i think it still has the capacity to dissolve some polar compounds. Nothing is absolute in this universe, too many variables are at play.

Maybe its the result of some physical action as opposed to some chemical action?

4 Likes

Do you think the consolvents (i.e. Terpenes) would play some role in this?

2 Likes

@Jay-TL This is a very good point, and one i hadnt considered yet until you said that. @Roguelab wat do u think?

Some of these terpenes are alcohols and some are ethers of those alcohols. This could be having an effect on the overall polarity of the solution.

3 Likes

It was mentioned higher up in the thread. I’d hazard a guess saying it would create a more non-polar solvent in the case of ethanol, which is certainly beneficial.

Right but in the case of extracting with an alkane, those alcohols will add some dwgree of polarity because as a rule alcohols are generally pretty bipolar.

If polarity can be neutrilized by saturation
I wonder If a solvent is still a solvent
I am No chemist at all not a cleu what i do
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
@anon93688 @Photon_noir @Shadownaught

2 Likes

If the question is how to get terpenes and terpenols from an ethanol extraction, there is no simple answer I know of, beyond careful fractional distillation.

6 Likes

The question is do the terpenes and terpenols that get extracted when using hexane affect the polarity of the solution?

Can this change in polarity account for hexane having the ability to dissolve small amounts of water soluble compounds?

1 Like

Oh! Well technically sort of. Their relatively low concentrations make any effects like that almost moot, and without other polar species present, the partial polarity of terpenols is dampened. Mostly van der Waals effects rule in essentially non-polar solutions.

4 Likes

Can you use the carbon to higher the proof for iso 99.95 with a diluted unwanted water content . Trying to figure out this problem .

Has anyone here tried just decarbing the crude ethanol in a regular oven for 30 mins on both sides, w/the heat set to the boiling point of ethanol. Does this purge out the rest of the ethanol?

I did that and it got it to a point where i think i could low temp purge it in the vac oven.

I seriously wish the place that tests any cannabis products didn’t “require an 8th” for testing.

No, carbon will not remove water. You need molecular sieves for that.

2 Likes

Decarbing?
To remove ethanol?

They can co-occur…to a degree.
They are not the same process.

Generally you’re not going to reach decarb temps until the ethanol is gone. Decarb at 78C happens, but not quickly.

You mention “both sides” as if you’re trying to purge shatter. Most would be explicitly trying to avoid decarb in that situation.

Is “purge” the term you were looking for?

2 Likes

but would it be effective to do that before trying to purge it in the vacuum oven?

Depends what “both sides” was about.

Decarbing shatter reduces the viscosity (makes it runny). Such that decarbing “both sides” is probably not gonna be a joyous adventure.

If the object is solvent free decarbed crude, decarbing under vac will get you there. If the object is a stable shatter that passes residual solvent testing, decarbing in or before the oven is not going to get you where you were aiming.

Or more succinctly: I don’t think I understand the question…

1 Like

Rotovapped my stuff into an oil. Then I set it to 175°f in my regular oven . for 30 mins on both sides. I did this to claim. I ended up with a semi stable oil that when dabbed doesn’t taste like alcohol or do any funky eye burn shit. Which led me to get believe that one can just bake out the alcohol from an oil and then purge it in the oven @ a low temp to get rid of the rest of any solvent that may be left.

Cause it gets it to a wrap and snap.

1 Like

Would most definitely be interested in that!

Yep. That will work.

you’re not decarbing. You’re purging.
With reclaim, you were ostensibly decarbed when you started.

If ovens were not a valid choice for this, cascade would not have built one specifically for this industry.

1 Like