A (likely) unsolvable problem with ethanol extraction (keep them terps!)

Rotovapped my stuff into an oil. Then I set it to 175°f in my regular oven . for 30 mins on both sides. I did this to claim. I ended up with a semi stable oil that when dabbed doesn’t taste like alcohol or do any funky eye burn shit. Which led me to get believe that one can just bake out the alcohol from an oil and then purge it in the oven @ a low temp to get rid of the rest of any solvent that may be left.

Cause it gets it to a wrap and snap.

1 Like

Would most definitely be interested in that!

Yep. That will work.

you’re not decarbing. You’re purging.
With reclaim, you were ostensibly decarbed when you started.

If ovens were not a valid choice for this, cascade would not have built one specifically for this industry.

1 Like

So what temp would I go for decarbing under vacuum to achieve solventless crude?

Can you re run it through a reflux still and achieved desired proof ?

I would usually say yes, because 95% ethanol (“azeotrope”) is the desired proof.

However, if I recall correctly, you’re asking about Isopropanol, and aiming for 99.5% which is higher than you can achieve with distillation (~91%).

Which is why you were pointed at molsieves.

You could also google “salting out”.

why do you find Iso preferable?

https://future4200.com/uploads/default/original/2X/4/400e761ed2e3ddd927d284757e162accc3aa8f5f.jpg

1 Like

Got ya , makes more sense now. So I’m basically achieving 180 (90%). Would 180 severely diminished % of soak yields ? Mainly iso because for the price. Tons of good info from that link forsure. Was focused on getting this rough cut step done and making more appropriate decisions after that.

don’t use a gas oven lol!

1 Like

Nahhhh its all electric. No flames at all on my oven.

1 Like

I’d have a hotplate area setup near a window if I had a gas oven.

I’ve recreated this experiment 3 times in the last month using regular material, you’ll lose color but you’ll retain most the terps.

I place it on dry ice for 30 seconds prior to the flip not runny at all. after the second 30 mins on the flipped side i take it out and i dab it. honestly i see no need to purge unless you taste alcohol. but by doing what i do t’s mostly flavor town.

I’d still argue you’re primarily purging not decarbing… although there is probably a line there that you’re dancing pretty close to.

Without analytics I’m just guessing.

1 Like

I’m not arguing that i’m purging not decarbing i thought baking down an oil in a regular non vacuum oven nmw is pretty much decarbing, i thought purging was specifically left to vacuum chambers/ovens, my bad on that

i should get my next batch tested for terps

Your goal is to get rid of the solvent?

Or to make it orally active?

You don’t need it decarbed, you do want it purged…

I agree you’re going about it non-traditionally, and achieving some of one while aiming at the other.

Given that the purge is deliberate/the desired outcome, and any decarb is a side-effect, I know how I would label the process.

Not really concerned if you want to call it something else.

Crawling back in my hole… :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

To get rid of solvent and to keep terps.

2 Likes

Here in California, residual solvent testing is the problem with incomplete purging. If you can pass that and keep your terps, that’s great. The lighter mono terpenes will burn off first, if so your profile may be lower in pinene, myrcene and limonene on the assay. Good luck and could you post your terpene profile if you get one?

1 Like

Depends on if I can. I do personal runs and the place that tests wants an 8th as a test sample, for testing thru hplc and if I’m gonna sacrifice an 8th of eho I wanna make sure its worth it. So if anything I’ll purge it @122 for three days and flip it at 12 hours before I send it in.

And they charge extra for terp testing

Are you in California? I have the plug on a company that I trust with my broader, detailed terpene samples (I do a rough profile from 15 or so standards I have). They’re very reasonable, as low as $50.

Massachusetts

1 Like

I don’t know anyone in that market. Testing prices and turnover times suck, sorry. Make friends with a chemist at a drug firm…