1000 Watt DE HPS Air Cooling Effects

These are the ones. Can’t find them now but theses are similar

2 Likes

I’d be interested in seeing par readings with the exhaust fan running versus not running. Looks cool though

3 Likes

I would add about a 1’ wing to the top of the cool tube wing. Your illuminating the ceiling. If you add that additional wing, it will bounce that light back down on your plants.

Dont angle the added piece down, keep it horizontal.

3 Likes

Yeah, the one video I found with par testing was a video to show off the AC/DE hood, so of course their competitors had to have poor performance.

The light I linked has a ballast that is selectable between 1000 watt MH, HPS, and CMH. It comes with a reflector of your choice, and is also able to run two 315 CMH with a different arm. Looks pretty bad ass, but honestly, my next light will only need to burn CMH. Would have went that route this time, but budget is almost non existent, and I was able to get the whole set for less than one 315 CMH. Cheap raw power for the win for now.

1 Like

I should have read about it more before buying, but let myself rush into it due to only having like an hour left on the sale. I was a sucker. For the life of me, I don’t know why anyone would still make air cooled DE hoods with airflow going past the bulb.

The plan was to run just the one light in the basement over the winter, using the heat to help cut down on the house heating bill, so no AC was in the plans. I was just going to air cool it and run the vent upstairs.

I was originally going to get an old school single ended setup, but being uninformed and feeling rushed, I jumped into the DE thinking it was an upgrade. Oops.

Cmh runs on a square wave frequency. Mh amd hps run on a different frequency. I’ve not found a ballast that can do both frequencies and not burn up.

1 Like

Here is a cooltube with a nice reflector, wish it came down a little lower below the tube. These work great for tents where heavier hoods might compromise the structure. http://www.ncwgs.com/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=1689

I started out with an apollo cool tube hood. Pretty much like the above

Square = digital
Curvy = analog

1 Like

Digital or magnetic ballasts for mh/hps are totally different than a cmh ballast.

1 Like

I understand that, but it appears the ballast from the Nanolux light I linked is switchable between them. It must modify the output somehow. On the other hand, it would make more sense to buy a ballast specifically designed for the bulb. I highly doubt I would ever run that ballast for anything other than CMH, so kinda pointless to have the ability to run MH and HPS too, but still interesting non the less.

1 Like

Iirc, someone plugged in a hps/mh ballast with a cmh bulb. With in a few mins, BOOM!

1 Like

You can run hps on square wave, back in the day that was the whole sales pitch to the badass ballast.

I got the new ceramic hps from hortilux and they will only run on about ballast that’s over 100khz.

1 Like

Little update: I sent the light back for a few reasons. Didn’t want to mess around with direct air cooling a de bulb. The light was crap, and damaged on arrival. I wanted to stick with led anyhow.

On a side note, speaking of crap products, don’t waste your time and money with growace.com! My reflector and ballast were both bent in transport, and the ballast was missing a couple screws that hold the cover on. Growace just wanted to offer a small refund. I said no way, just return and refund please. I guess I was luck that it arrived damaged, so I could return it with no restocking fees.

I might start a thread about the leds I got instead if I can talk my cousin into lending me his quantum meter. I’ll have 1280 watts spread over eight QB96 boards for about 40 watts per square foot in a 4x8 when all is said and done. At least that’s the plan.

2 Likes