<1μm Filtration

Is anyone filtering to less than 1um? Has anyone considered using a robust inline solvent filter to get down to 0.2μm? Any benefit to it? The chromatography syringe filters clog pretty quick when I’ve tried to use them.

Smallest micron I’ve seen in use is 10μm. I’ve never liked them honestly I think they impede flow rate too much. 50-100μm is my preferred range. Edit - however this was in a butane/propane extractor, not in post-processing.

if your going to go that fine you’ll need to stage several filters or filtrations in order, start coarse and progress to finer filtration. What process did you plan on filtering?

1 Like

I’ve used .44 and .33 for remediation purposes in the past and with the proper filter media (eg. Celite 545) flow is decent enough. For final filtration of crude we use 1 micron glass papers designed for higher flow rates with Celite 545 and it filters pretty fast.

@Soxhlet @Jay-TL I’m already using the Summit Hochstrom with all 3 stages of paper, including the 1μm borosilicate stage and various filter aids. I’m just wondering if anyone is going for finer filtration than1μm.

we don’t use more than 545 ontop of a 1um if were doing filtration.

1 Like

Only for remediation. Otherwise we use summit stage 3 under Silikate Pulvar.

I’ve used 0.2um filters for removing powdery mildew spores from BHO. Done in ethanol prior to winterizing.

You could taste the difference

Went through a lot of these before figuring out where I could buy the membranes
http://www.eandkscientific.com/500ml-Corning-Vacuum-Filter-Systems.html

I could usually get several litres (multiple runs) through one filter, but would eventually crack the bottle as filtering slowed. The neat part was that the bottles would crack, and leak air in, but not liquid out.

5 Likes

Was this because you filtered at cryo temp?

I don’t even try to get em through the 0.2um filters until every other step has been completed, winterizing, scrub, etc.

I’m using solvent approved syringe filters, inline with the Hochstrom.

The plastic bottles can only take so much vac. Once the membrane clogs, anything but an aspirator will exceed that level.

Thankfully, they fail gracefully.

Try these instead of syringe filters.

They may have bigger. They have several different flavors of membrane

2 Likes