1.5 Triclamp BHO Recovery?

How do you like it? Speed Rates?

2 Likes

I like it. As long as recovery tank stays cold enough i can recover # a min

4 Likes

cheap af!!!

2 Likes

Idk if it makes a difference on recovery lines, but those are ribbed (hope that’s the right word) on the inside

This brand has some that are smooth bore, more expensive though.

1 Like

It does make a difference but only to a degree, meaning only if you have the proper heating and cooling capabilities. I think right now a lot of people upgraded to 1/2" recovery lines. I plan to follow at some point.

1 Like

To be honest, I think that at the recovery rates most folks are experiencing (1-3lb/minute) anything over a single 1/2” recovery line is overkill.

You could calculate choked flow for a given mass flow and see the cross sectional area at which the flow is choked—but I doubt it’s gonna have a major effect.

As most will mention here, heating and cooling are far more important. Also important to note that the smaller the bore size (typically) the higher the pressure rating.

3 Likes

tbh if u have everything set up right then u shouldn’t need any help. 1/4" lines are fine for the size of ur system( these guys time is money they trying to get more runs per day)

ur goal should be to blast and recover within 2hrs . f your blasting and re covering in under 2 hrs. next do things like getting something to lift ur collection tank and solvent tanks off the bottom of.tbe cooler

it should recover so fast that u barely have time to walk away

tank setting in a slurry of denatured alcohol that u get down to temp ( when ur alcohol is at dry ice temps the dry will not react just be like throwing cubes ice in drink instead boiling)

also once.its in the slurry cover the lid w dry ice.

when ur slurry is at proper temp u have to keep adding dry ice here and there to maintain temps

also keep ur recover water temp correct an constant

pull full vac on ur empty solvent tank prior to running

and another trick I learned is about halfway recover. shut the valves and let the temp drop back.on ur tank for sec, release.any positive psi u have and then go back to recovering.

2 Likes

May be overkill. But man, that second line really lets things rip…

4 Likes

Well then I better start up on this math. Gimmie a few hours.

8 Likes

Just the other day I saw one company that 1.5" Tri-Clamp Steel braided hoses for recovery. I’ll see if I can find them, but they look bad ass!

Propane pigs are always on their sides because more surface area makes higher vapor pressure. Since propane pigs are mostly used when its cold they need all the help they can get making pressure. An upright tank (gas withdraw, no dip tube) often wont empty fully because of this.

Maybe somebody needs to make a 6" or 8" jacketed spool for recovery oriented sideways with a tri clamp port on the side(top)

It seems to me it would distill faster with the same amount of btus applied and same diameter hoses. Maybe a real chemist/physicist would know better.

I know ive seen it somewhere maybe @Apothecary36 has one like this?

2 Likes

@Soxhlet

Was this you?

1 Like

I can’t find the one I’m looking for, but check the high temp hosing
tri-clamp hose | McMaster-Carr
Edit: Bottom of the page is the hosing I’m talking about
Edit: I want to say I came across it in one of the CLS groups on FB

1 Like

Cant u use kf25 or kf40 bellows and get KF to triclamp adapters?

1 Like

It sounds like that would work…?

1 Like

How to do you lengthen a tube vs an accordion (ribbed) type of bellows? All while keeping it sealed?

Edit
Or curve it?

Lets see how quick these go:

5 Likes

If not ptfe lined inside will be dirty as hell n hard to clean. Ive ordered similar one before. Just sits around now

1 Like

The autoclave wont clean it?

Ultrasonic is best. Autoclaves are good for sterilizing but not so good at actually removing soils

3 Likes