Your Favorite Method for Germinating Seeds?

What’s your favorite / most successful way to germinate seeds?
Do you soak them in water first? For how long? Do you use a seed sprouting mat? At what temperature?

• Soak them for 12 or 24 hours in water.
  • Seeds in a wet paper towel, in a ziploc bag
  • Seeds in a wet cloth, on a plate
  • Put the seeds on a seed sprouting mat
  • Seeds pit into “Root Riot” plant stater cubes and soak in a clone dome
  • Use a yogurt maker to sprout seeds
  • Seeds planted in Grandma’s leftover oatmeal

I’ve been experimenting with different ways, so far had most success by soaking for 24 hours, then using a wet paper towel in a ziploc bag, sitting on a seed sprouting mat. What have you seen work best?

1 Like

Put them directly into soil.
Some things Mother Nature already perfected.

I have a 99% success rate

8 Likes

5 days in

2 Likes

24 hours or so in a cup of water.
Wet paper towel on plate about 12-18 hours until I see little white tail.
Rock wool cube 1.5” on heating may with humidity dome.
Depending on seed quality I would say works great.

Just got some ice cream zundae from dark horse and I swear 3” tall a week from germinate.

4 Likes

used to just put them in moist ph’d root riots.only one that ever failed was one of those weird mutants that don’t put out cotyledons

1 Like

I use a damp paper towel and ziplock bag. Nothing fancy. I place on vac oven tray or sous vide bath set to 80f and 100% taps in 24-36 hours. I used to just leave it on the counter at room temp, which works fine as well, just takes longer.

3 Likes

Water over night > damp paper towel with Mykos in a zip lock bag in a warm place.

https://www.xtreme-gardening.com/azos

3 Likes

This one? https://www.xtreme-gardening.com/mykos

How much do you use? Just mix it with water and use that water on the paper towel?

Yeah, sorry… I hit the wrong link. It comes with a scoop. I just sprinkle it on the seeds when I transfer them to the paper towel. I also use it when I pot up the plants… solo cup > 3 gallon > 10 gallon…

2 Likes

Plant one male near a bunch of females. Let them all go to seed. Hit with weedeater/brush hog. Wait for next year’s cannabis field

11 Likes

With hemp i find the casing is often very hard and needs scoring. I usually do this with a piece of sandpaper lining the inside of a paint can. Nothing crazy just throw the seeds in there and then lightly swirl around for a moment to nick the surface.

Then i do a short soak in water with fulvic, maybe some kinda mycorrhizal. Def not 24 hr soak more like 1-2 hrs. Then i drain the seeds in some kinda cloth bag for a while so they are easier to handle, then plant in a germination mix thats heavy on peat moss. Works very well for me.

Personally I find the paper towel method, overnight soaking, and any method that causes the seeds to sprout a tail, creates problems in the plants growth, compared to a more natural approach.

1 Like

Shot Glass and 1" of water. When they fall they’re good to go. You can add a little soil to the water to induce tailing.

2 Likes

seeds–>root riots–>net pot+hydroton–>flood tray w/top feed
pretty hands off, i like it. i dont fuck with water parameters much until they develop true leaves

1 Like

put seeds in cup of water until they pop and then I like to use the compressed peat starters or rockwool.

1 Like

Straight into wet soil. Why change mother nature? I like the wet paper towel but if I forget for a day they can get dry or to big.

2 Likes

I feel like straight into soil makes keeping an optimum moisture level difficult. When you’re popping a bunchhhhhabuncha beans

4 Likes

I used these. Root riots tend to get expensive when doing hundreds of them and i had only but trouble with rockwool for production. I have a few more things i add for cloning that i didn’t list below but doing 1k of them at a time. I’ll lose one or two which just had no Hope from the start.
Oasis cubes
Cube-
Soak for a few hours in water. drain, mix a cap of superthrive, great white, PH water 5 in a bucket than soak Cubes in this overnight in a tray. Morning time- drain cubes to the point where it’s moist not soaked. Drop seeds in the hole and take a peice of a virgin cube and cover the hole. Not that tight. Put the humidity dome on it. , use a heat mat, flip a black growing tray upside down so it looks like a tiki hut. Place your germination tray on top of this. Close humidity dome to 1/4 next day 1/2 open.

Make sure black trays have holes :slight_smile:

1 Like

18 months later finally running a full room of the pheno that was best.

1 Like

I agree