WNC THCP? How real could this be?

You’d think that but the thing is some of these processes have very serious money behind them so there gets to be a point where people will not talk about their discoveries. Personally, a lot of the big things I’ve found over the years I don’t even want to post in fear of people misusing that information as we are seeing happen with all the unknowns in D8.

If you go on a tangent in Google scholar for a few hours you’ll find all sorts of cannabinoids have been made from terpene alcohols. Search things like “terpenoid” “cannabinoid” “synthesis” and have an academic email on standby to gain access to the private ones. Make sure to use quotations to get more relevant results.

To give you an idea of how much is being done privately, we might all know Delta 8 THC here but there are publications that produced about 20 different variations of delta 8 with varying onsets, durations, and vastly different pharmacological effects and highly selective receptor activity. The source material for some of these conversions is so cheap I am actually concerned for the future of the industry.

12 Likes

This right here is what we need to be worried about. I can trust all the folks I work with, but cheap conversions/sops that yield psychoactive cannabinoids are low hanging fruit for profiteers. Somehow all these legal noids are going to end up in a gas station, and subsequently laws to ban them. ::deep sadness::

3 Likes

We already have a recreational market that is becoming increasingly dominated by fruity flavored distillate and fruity flavored gummies made from the cheapest material. We are barely clinging on to real cannabis as it is.

Being able to circumvent the entire cultivation process (and all the jobs that it encompasses) in favor of abundantly produced terpenoids imported from third world countries will be the nail in the coffin. The vast majority of consumers will not care if it’s fake, tastes nothing like cannabis, and unsustainably produced— the price will be lower and that’s pretty much the first thing people look at. It’s not like the average person is getting any wealthier anytime soon. Synthetic is inevitable for the race to the bottom.

I just wished more new users liked the taste of weed. That’s one thing that will always support an incentive to buy natural. That is one of the most disappointing things to me.

12 Likes

Ooo tell me more! I kind of thought I heard something was going on with the deal.

1 Like

So just to update everyone. I’ve pinged the lab multiple times now for the chroma but they haven’t provided it. I’m gonna reach out to the vendor to see if they have it.

The product launched and there’s been a few trip reports on the sub. The vendor appears to also be active on the sub as well.

2 Likes

I can go one step further. We were sent samples that were made by David. It was claimed to be THCP.

We have multiple mass spectrometers here, HPLCs-DAD, and GCs. We analyzed the material sent and found it to contain large amounts of phenols, p-Cymene, olivetol. Based on the analysis on our Ion Trap Mass Spectrometer, there were no heptyl alkyl compounds. Only abnormal THCs, and CBDs that while would make someone “happy” it also contained a lot of compounds that were toxic or dangerous and likely make someone sick over extended use.

Based on the large volumes of Olivetol, it was clear to me that this Olivetol was being added to create a lot of random THCs. Some had such a large MW of 360 or more that they eluted at the same time as THCP in a “useless” HPLC-DAD test method. This was likely how this material is being sold disguised as THCP.

We have the standard from Cayman but we also synthesized 5-heptylresorcinol in our lab to make our own standards. We are seeing a lot of junk out there and a lot of bad stuff in D8 carts too.

20 Likes

Jesus christ that just made my brain hurt

3 Likes

I’m sure lots of folks would love to see what bad stuff is in D8. Please do tell.

6 Likes

i’d love to know some specifics instead of assuming its toxic sludge

6 Likes

As soon as I’m back in the lab Thursday night/Friday I’ll be happy to post some mass spec results and spectra. It’s pretty ugly if not purified extensively. Most of the stuff I’m seeing hasn’t even been quenched, washed or extracted properly (referring to THCP but seeing same in low-end D8 junk)

1 Like

I uploaded to another THCP thread the analysis. I’ll try to upload them here too.

First image is proof we purchased Cayman standards for THCP and CBDP.
Second image (fake1) is the chromatograph of a “THCP” same we received. It is a bad D8 attempt. Notice all the compounds below 70 minutes.
Third image is a zoom in of the bad actors in this sample.
Fourth image is spectra of one. I’m not going to dump them all as there are so many.
Fifth image is showing a zoom of the THC (120-128 min) and THCP (128+) elution times. Most of the compounds are in THC, CBD, deltas, abnormal THC, etc… The compounds in 130+ are of interest as they will fool an HPLC.
Sixth image is the spectra of the fake THCP molecule. It is an olivetol based compound with a enough fragments bonded to it to get to MW360.
Seventh image is showing time for D8.
Last image shows the spectra of a real THCP analysis. This is the proper spectra when analyzed by a GCMS with Ion Trap.

13 Likes

Normally when I see a list of benzene derivatives/aromatics I recognize several of them. Today was not one of those days. Only things in there I’ve seen cited in cannabis previously are 2-ethyltoulene and 3-ethyltoulene. This is equally as interesting to read through as it is concerning. Thank you for sharing this data and I hope to see you post more of your results.

10 Likes

https://fsp.farm/ ?

-FSP+ certified is the gold standard of quality and recognized in the industry as premium THCP (Tetrahydrocannabiphorol).
-THCP (Tetrahydrocannabiphorol) is a research compound 30X more active at the CB1 receptor than Delta 9THC.
-THCP isolate contains 99+% Pure THCP derived from plant terpenes in an FDA approved facility and produced following cGMP processes.
-It is a high-purity cannabinoid compound we are pleased to make available.
-THCP isolate contains zero detectable THC.

this kinda reads like they’re obfuscating the fact they’re not selling isolate

2 Likes

I grabbed one of these to test in the gc (lol no way I am trying to inhale this) but haven’t had the chance. Its the most intriguing coa i’ve ever seen of a distillate at 4.27%…

https://www.apotheca.org/corvus-thcp-cartridge-orange-crush.html

3 Likes

OMG Bell’s Lab. I believe that’s it. It is the fsp.farm. I’ve seen Bell’s Lab on some.

Very bad stuff. HPLC testing cannot possibly identify everything wrong it in. The HPLC testing is only quantifying known compounds.

It’s only showing 4.27% because that is the known Delta THC and CBD compounds. There are many large abnormal compound peeks that make up the other 95%.

I’ll post more of the individual compound byproduct data. For certain they are making a lot of:

cyclohexane type byproducts.
phthalates
phenols (bad)
tons of p-Cresol

I think i’d find a cleaner sample from a superfund site groundwater.

3 Likes

Any of the byproducts “good” ?

3 Likes

That’s because these aren’t ever found in the plant. These are byproducts from breaking down CBD (obviously in air) over a period of several days. Then adding a Lewis acid, olivetol, and likely some terpenes to create a random mash of THC-type compounds and some high MW ones.

2 Likes

Well, some aren’t toxic. I don’t believe they were desirable. None of the samples I’ve tested have been purified in any way. It’s like they are shortpathing some of it but all the reagents and byproducts are still in it as a crude.

1 Like

Vape crisis 2.0 in the making.

4 Likes

I checked our samples we received. We got a few of these with complaints. We were asked if this is real or not. Couchlock and FSP are from the same source. They have identical synthesis markers.

1 Like