With C8 caprylic how hot to prevent thca crystalization when making EHO cartridges?

I know we should be past this by now, but for the next few weeks I need to fill orders with EHO cartridges.

I filter through carbon chemistry hardwood charcoal and T8 a 10 minute dry ice ethanol soak. Dry ice always goes in the alcohol.

I was using true terpenes diluent a while back, and was generally able to not over do it with having the cartridges crystalize by heating the EHO to 250F. Testing Floraplex’s next.

But with c8, which has much better flavor, I’m still getting some crystallization at 260F.

I’m reluctant to push the temperature too far because the flavor gets worse as it goes up.
Cartridges taste great with 10% caprylic (smoother than no additive at all) but I get a decent clip of returns cause the crystalization.

I’ve wasted a lot of money by not decarbing that sort of extract before putting it in carts. Sometimes a successful batch but even at that it WILL eventually crystallize. You can minimize the oxidation that will occur by doing it in a vacuum chamber or a mason jar sealed, also maybe retaining some terp? Idk. You gonna add that back in anyhow. Decarb every time, save money, consistent end product

1 Like

Yeah its like threading the needle. People love the carts when the work.

sorry all to post a new thread. I wasted a few gs over this so I was pissed, it should
be merged with the help with floraplex thread

Also I just read in another thread that submerging your dry ice in your solution may be creating carbonic acid in your extract. Don’t know the science behind it or health effect, but t may be something to look in to brother

That’s part of the concern with trying to avoid a full decarb and just push it enough that crystalization doesn’t occur. I wonder if a 50/50 mix of thca and thc with 10% c8 added would crystalize

It takes a lot more dry ice to cool the etoh and not submerge, its a scale issue.

I’m sure it would work to an extent, but that thca is bound to fall out eventually. Just less fall out I imagine. It’s due time for a breakthrough technology or method of decarb that avoids all the negatives that come with it. I just saw another thread about a possible chemical decarb… pretty interesting