Wiped Film Parameters

Let me guess, this was alcohol extract. Water will take it off. Watch out because if the build up is too much, it will stop the wiper blades from wiping effectively.

2 Likes

Sugars fo sho

1 Like

Much appreciated responses, is there a good way to remove sugars from Ethanol extracted crude before the WFE?

1 Like

Brine wash will remove it. I’ve heard scrubbing with bentonite can too, but can’t confirm.

3 Likes

You’re not extracting cold enough with your Ethanol if thats happening. Be careful, enough of that and your wiper will seize and you’ll have to clean that bitch

3 Likes

Try Paratherm LR…way cheaper than Syltherm and same physical properties. Switched all my units to LR many years ago.Trick of the trade…put a small bag of molecular sieve in the holding tank. Use the larger molecular sieve…size of rice…wash the dust off with acetone…dry…put in small micron filter bag and put in tank. When you shutdown the unit they tend to pull in atmospheric moisture and will freeze into ice crystals over time and plug off the pump inlet. The MS will absorb the water and hold it…change it every couple of months. …maybe more in high humidity rooms. I always warm up the chiller to at least room temperature before shutting it down…it definitely will help.

3 Likes

50/50 water-ethanol and heat up your jacket 10c hotter then running temp

1 Like

Hey how’s it going had a question was running a wiping film system bought from china been having Difficulty with wiping getting amber color from it what temp you run the feed and body was running my feed at 80c and body at 100c my internal condenser which is a chiller at 20c but when reaches inside it’s at 50c to 60c

Lots of questions would need to be answered about your process.

How many passes are you doing? How are you decarbing/devolatizing before it goes in for first pass? What type of crude is it? What are your vacuum levels in each pass?

2 Likes

Lol you just typed what dean or Chris sent you in email lol. Fuckin pope.

Now you are a pro in wipe film distillation.
Agree on so many parameter can go wrong.
I am a wipe film tech for installation trainning, and a customer ask me to distillate un-winterlized, un-decarbing, BHO extract crude into gold distillate.
That was the worst crude oil I can feed into a wipe film. The distillate is clear but with wax for sure.

Let me know if you need a upgrade in the processing rate, I have stainless steel model available.

1 Like

What is the method and temperature for your extraction?
I saw amber distillate due to the warm ethanol extraction.

It’s looking like I’m going to SS in Michigan, we already have a model picked however.

I’m not sure I would call myself “a pro” but, I know in the year and change since I made this post I’ve completely changed my fundamental understanding of this process and the dynamics of how and why different material requires different methods of handling.

Beyond that, come to find out the issue wasn’t the parameters, it was pre-processing.

2 Likes

That is completely true. Many people asking for wipe film distillation SOP. I told them even I give you the SOP, you still wouldn’t be able to run it. Every lab have their own method and any tiny change will give me hard time get nice distillate.

BTW, do you mind tell me which brand are you getting you SS wipe film?
Thx

SS 6" VTA here. most have glass SS is way more “user” friendly you can run them harder even the techs from VTA love them so much more because any “chunks” I the wipers can be essentially processed away wear as with glass ones they want you to clean the minute theres “torque/tension” on wipers

you ever figure out a way to quantity drip speed?

are you running single pass?

Hey densone,
Was just trying to figure this out myself. I’m running a 6 inch pope wpe. Would love to hear how people are figuring this out.

Mine got burnt at 180c had 5% degradation

1 Like