Winterizing

Ok then I can just throw the whole thing in my chamber and let it cold boil?

I tried doing it without using anything and then saw it started coming down the line so i stop
Going to change the oil before a next time I use it

Could I do butane this way

And if you donā€™t mind is winterization the same thing is dewaxing in a senseā€¦ When doing live resin if I wanted to do a separate dewax what would be the best way for me to do it insolution

Donā€™t boil butane and try to trap it, bad idea.

1 Like

You can try to extract cold, or winterize with etoh.
Etoh will strip a lot of terps, and be the most effective.

Okay thank you yeah I was doing strictly just for purging methods but yet that makes major sense , that was serious seriously stupid ideas, ethanol ok though, and when Iā€™m trapping it does this basically recollecti it for me and itā€™s ready to use again?

Having trouble picking up wax when I soak, but not at cryo, just after 2hrs packed In dry iceā€¦ I have to open blast in a sense , I donā€™t let soak, but I may be running to much Tane,

Gonna try one those pliers can popper to use a hose to the inlet , then maybe I can get solvent colder, any colder than-40 my cans spray everywhere!

Yeah, if your hoses are raited for your solvent and your glassware is clean.

What about tapping cans into a tank, chill the tank and inject from the cold tank.or inject through a stainless coil in dryice.

2 Likes

Never thought of that great idea thanks!

To bad those cold temps donā€™t push the mystery oil to bottom, I would just stop early!:grin:

Just realized this isnā€™t our private message my bad yā€™allā€¦stonedšŸ˜‚

I have not tried to xtract with acetone or ethanol before. I have used isopropyl and it can make nice shatter but lacking in terpenes. My understnading is that ethanol is similar to isopropyl as a solvent and is good at picking up cannabinoids but not so good at dissolving terps. I think you will get similar yield and quality from either ethanol or acetone so is really up to your preference or what is more easily available; usually this leads to using ethanol as it is a cheap solvent and any residuals in end product are not harmful

If you are going to get a tank and condenser you may aswell get the extra bits and pieces to go closed loop! better for the environment :wink: also you can use your CLS as vacuum still to purify your tane before dumping into your tank so no mystery oil! And being able to reuse solvent will save many dollars

For a hydrocarbon extraction I like to use the same solvent system the whole way through. So rather than collecting your product and winterising in ethanol or other solvent, I prefer to dump loaded solvent from extraction column into a jacketed spool where it can be held at cryo temps for a few hours then passed through a filter into collection pot. This is however more time consuming so less economical if you have a lot of material to process.

So why canā€™t I just catch the butane drop it in cryo like I do for the Only the Strong Tech and then pass it to the B funnelā€¦ Wouldnā€™t this pull thcA

Btw the only reason I havenā€™t made the switch is lately the amount I run plus the price dry ice and cryo I would be getting really pricey to cool the tank alsoā€¦

And I run more live resin than anything, wouldnā€™t temps be a problem for closed loopā€¦I retain terps by cold Purge

I would be losing money in the dry ice part to cool everything, and I run live almost every time latelyā€¦ The temps would mess me up I think also the amount material at moment I donā€™t think would be feasible to make a switch like that yetā€¦ Things keep going the way they are though and it wonā€™t be long!!!

Free 420 America!!

Btw I only winterize for Vapesā€¦I was just maybe looking at a way to dewax better thanks though!!!

Looks like I need to get my dewaxing column back out
And maybe one those set popper pliers for the cans so I can get colder

1 Like

I guess that as long as it was cold enough to keep the butane liquid that would work as a method to filter. Although you would potentially end up sucking a lot of butane into your vacuum pump which could be dangerous so would need a cold trap and I donā€™t know if that would make it safe.

O yeah @Soxhlet told me to never cold trap butane,bad idea!

Second I never run my vacuum pump with my b.funnel.,.I didnā€™t think you was supposed to bc get fuel all in line, told me I can cold trap ethol with that method and vacuum pumpā€¦

I usually just use a water aspirated vacuum when using the b.funnel

1 Like

Thanks for helping me buddy think I forgot to tell you that

glad to know some of what I said helped. I would guess that you should be good to run butane through your BĆ¼chner funnel if pulling vac by water aspiration. Although I have never tried this but let us know how it goes if you try it

For some reason Iā€™m thinking the thca will get separated out using the b funnel at that temperatures with butane, will that not happen right

You donā€™t want to vaccum filtration on butane laden oil. Your best bet is a buchner vessel like they use on a closed loop for dewax. Positive pressure wonā€™t boil the liquid your trying to filter, vaccum will. What about adding your blast to another closed column with a filter stack. Pack dryice around column and wait for precipitation, then use positive pressure to push put the oil hopefully leaving any precipitated crystals on the filter.

1 Like