winterizing with dry ice

heard winterizing with dry ice caused something called carboxylic acid in your thc distillate. What exactly does carboxylic acid do to thr oil??

Carbonic acid.

oops yes carbonic acid — what negative effects does it have in the distillation process??

Wait what. Normal ice? Like frozen water added to ethanol? Stop wait why for what reason? No

2 Likes

been using dry ice to get my warm filtered solution cold then running it through — sems to filter out well but i read somewhere that carbonic acid in the distillate is a no no — never got the reason why

i like the jacketed idea - any other suggestions than a pot in a pot thpe situstion?

Read up on acid in your boiling flask causing isomerization then…

http://future4200.com/search?q=delta+10

Did you bother with Search results for 'dry ice acid' - Future4200 ?!?

1 Like

In liquid form Co2 can react with water forming an acid that can degrade organic material.

Exactly how do you imagine the OP is achieving liquid CO2

1 Like

a tank

OF CO2

WITH A DIP TUBE.

2 Likes

Rubbish. OP is asking about dropping dry ice in ethanol and is worried about making carbonic acid.

Where in that system does one ever achieve liquid CO2 @Rowan?

CO2 gas interacting with water is what is responsible for forming the carbonic acid.

Sublime: not just a band name…

11 Likes

so i looked through the threads that cyclopath gave and people are saying that it causes isomerization during the distillation process due to the carbonic acid?? isomers as in delta 9 to delta 8/10? seeing mixed reviews.

For what it’s worth, aside from forming carbonic acid, I am always concerned with not knowing how clean the vessels which held the bulk dry ice, or the vessels an operator uses to store dry ice were. Direct contact with product with a possibility of cross-contamination is a no go for me.

5 Likes

I think the question you’re asking is: ‘why does carbonic acid formation in a pre-distilled crude cause isomerization of d9-THC?’

The real answer is: because it does. Carbonic acid is a carboxylic acid with the ability to alter the chemical structure of d9 by means of some simple reactions—organic chem is beyond the scope of this discussion.

I’d stop putting dry ice directly into your crude, you’re introducing some NASTY chemicals into your product if the dry ice is just regular stuff you get from the grocery store.

9 Likes

its food grade from xtractor depot does that make a difference?

nvm gonna have to buy freezers

Ln2 is fun

1 Like

If you wanna do stuff on the cheap…

Put your fluid in a stainless pot.
Then float a smaller bowl on top that has dry ice+acetone or ethanol in it. Stir often.

You make a reverse double boiler of sorts. Or pretty much just an ice cube that doesn’t contact your solution directly.

7 Likes

I just did an outage at a co2 plant they makin dry ice and I can confirm that is a valid concern. You should see some of the food grade plants I work in, makes a guy think a lot about how a product gets to you, and how clean that process may/may not be. Lots of contamination and dirty storage tank!

2 Likes

Lol yah, even with food.
There’s tolerances for rat shit, animal parts, bugs etc. In every bag of flour, every bit of processed food.

It isn’t zero tolerance…

It’s tolerances… As in there is an acceptable amount of literal shit in your food, companies just can’t go over the shit limit

1 Like