Winterization - Mass Production

Great news! I’m glad it went well for you. Would you change anything about the way you did your first run or would you do it the same way again? I had planned on using the Bucket Tek with ethanol/dry ice and some bud for my first go around. Then, following this Tek for the dewax/winterization then off to the stir plate for removal of residual solvents and a decarb. Finally going into the old SPD. Does any of that sound right ? lmao

I’ve ordered some bigger beakers, flasks and even a 1 liter buchner funnel since i have to pack 3 inches of aluminum oxide in it. My grand total is approaching 7k US when my original budget was 2k. With today’s order I should have absolutely everything I need. I appreciate the help; coppertop, Beaker, everybody here!!

edit I meant to ask what is probably a dumb question…do you line the buchner funnel with a filter first? Like maybe a 5 micron or so?

The biggest thing I want to change with my next run is basically do what you described for the extraction process. I bought my crude already made and run through a wiped film once for devolitilization, but it was pretty dirty. I’m hoping that doing my own bucket tek extraction on my next run will improve the quality of the distillate further. Still planning on winterizing the same way as before even when extracting cold just to see how much wax I still end up pulling.

I would highly recommend decarbing under vacuum if you can. The smell can get pretty damn strong with an open beaker decarb, and if you can do it under vacuum you can simultaneously remove a bunch of other volatiles as well. It will save your distillation pump and improve vacuum.

With the Buchner, I would recommend a 20-25 micron filter paper on bottom, a 1/2” layer of celite 545, then the alumina on top. Curious to see your results doing this methanol dewax with a cold ethanol extract. It took me forever to filter my liter of crude, but then again I pulled a whole 250ml of wax between both the room temp and cold dewax.

Edit: @Skillet I can’t seem to find what thread it was mentioned, but when you go to do the cold dewaxing, be sure to add about a teaspoon of T5 clay per liter of oleoresin before placing in the freezer. This helps tremendously to get the waxes to precipitate.

Edit #2: Here it is.

3 Likes

So, you’d do that same process(room temp and cold dewax) even if you extracted cold? I don’t mind putting in the work. I had read that the shit stinks like hell when decarbing so I’ll be looking into a tek for that vacuum decarb. Thanks for the tip! Got all that ordered; T5, 545, 20-25

1 Like

Yea, there’s a lot of people saying they’re still pulling waxes from a cold extraction, so I just want to try it myself and see how much wax I pull from a cold extraction.

1 Like

Can’t hurt, right? Just to make sure I have it right, you’re doing the same process twice for dewax/winterization? Only difference being the second time is cold?

Almost. The second one I added a bit of T5. Though I did the second cold one just because it was suggested by @ScoobyDoobie after I already did the room temp one without the addition of T5. Might be able to get away with just doing one cold winterization, but I haven’t tried that yet.

1 Like

Most if not all the waxes can be removed in a single methanol winterization step if you do it very cold.

I suggested t5 only to make any precipitated waxes fall or rise inside the solution as a defined layer to allow them to be easier to remove. The effect being observed when the waxes fall to the bottom of the solutio is called floccuation.

In theory you dont even need to put the solution through a filter if you can suck most of the solution away from the waxes that have precipitated.

The t5 will also cause all suspended particles like dust to fall to the bottom of the solution with the waxes.

So for mass winterization perhaps the key would be to winterize a massive amount at a time and just siphon off your product. That saves you the time it would take to run through a filter, although a lenticular filter probably makes that a moot point.

2 Likes

Did they provide contact information or examples of other customers who are currently achieving said capacity with the same systems? Is there a performance guarantee with the quote? This system appears custom and Eden likes to make outlandish claims like many small scale CO2 extractor companies…

Thanks for chiming in. I want to get all the waxes out so I may do both room temp and cold with the t5 if that’s what is recommended. Would there be any harm in running the cold with t5 first then running a room temp without t5 to see if it had any effects?

Trust me the syphoning procedure works a lot better with a lenticular filter in series
I have to process 120 liters of crude If Wich 28kg of fats and Waxes
No lenticular can handel that amount of shit😀

2 Likes

No harm should comex the addition of t5 just causes the waxes to all fall together in one layer.

Heres a bideo to illustrate what im saying. This same concept applies to all suspended particles in all liquids.

Although most of thisvideo deals with drinking water the concept being discussed is floccuation. This is what happens when the flocculant (t5 has aluminum oxide in it) is added to the extract solution where the colloids are the waxes being precipitated.

11 Likes

I’m hoping for 500ml lol

Will be using this method soon. Thanks for the explanation.

1 Like