Wilting and yellowing

My plants were doing great, now I have yellowing and curling/wilting leaves, is it nutes or herbicide drift? Gave them alfalfa, kelp and chicky doodoo tea and saw yellowing 12 hrs later. Thing is the farmer next door was spraying corn 2 days previous. I shut the greenhouse up when I got home and saw what was happening. I flushed, but really thinking its drift because I can’t match up what’s happening with any pics I can find. Taking precautions both ways, but it’s painful waiting to see what happens. The day he sprayed was like 20mph wind blowing right at the greenhouse.

1 Like

I am also seeing this on plants in my yard, so I’m really thinking drift. Anything I can do?

Bottom pic looks like PM.

Light green normally indicates they are hungry (top cannabis plant)

1 Like

Kinda looks like low calcium or mag

Canna loves calmag

But in flower I dont use calcium nitrate or magnesium nitrate

But I haven’t grew in 3 yrs

1 Like

Was the chicken poo composted? It can run hot if not.
Anyway you know what product was applied and suspected to have drifted over?

Activated carbon is good for absorbing…
" trifluralin Treflan), bromacil (Hyvar X), benefin (Balan), bensulide (Prefar), DCPA (Dacthal), dichlobenil (Casoron), EPTC (Eptam), 2,4-D, terbacil (Sinbar), sulfentrazone (Zeus or Spartan) and chloroacetamide herbicides such as S-metolachlor (Dual Magnum) or dimethenamid-P (Outlook) and others." *

You could try a water/ activated carbon wash if you think it has not all been absorbed on the surface by the plants. But if its drift it might be absorbed at this point? If you think it’s in the soil you could remediate the soil but that’s alot of work. Soil analysis might be necessary at that point.
I have heard of washes with bicarbonate soda mixed in water been used for pesticides/herbicides.

*Testing for and Deactivating Herbicide Residues | Pacific Northwest Pest Management Handbooks

Yea, idk, the soil is 10% worm castings and 25% compost. They’ve only been in these pots for 2-1/2 weeks. From what I read calmag deficiency goes from bottom up, this is more top down. Plus it happened very quickly, they were all looking great 12 hrs previous. Hate to start throwing more nutes at them. Looking for a local lab to get soil analyzed.

1 Like

the very first plant in post 2 looks like it has thrips. If you see them curled leafs…Open them up and you will see bugs on the inside… those are thrips. Those are pretty common signs.

2 Likes

Yea, the chicky doo is composted, put like 3 cups in 50 gallon of 6.8 water and bubbled for 14 hrs or so. Got a bit sloppy cause I was rushed for time and trying to dial in my nnew pump and filter. Lesson learned. Thanks for the link.

1 Like

Idk, seems like a variety of symptoms, which kinda makes me think drift, hopefully it was light and sporadic, some plants seem untouched and the wilting is all over, top, mid, bottom, while the rest of the plant looks fine.

1 Like

Also, no idea what was sprayed, it was on gmo corn and killing volunteer beans from last year. The state ag dept is suppose to be investigating, but…

1 Like

Bugs can be awful outside

2 Likes

use diatomaceous earth and monterey garden pest control

2 Likes

How would you suggest to use both products, @ToOmUcH ?
What problems could they help remediate?

1 Like
1 Like

the other is spinosad but i think it may be harmful to bees so BEE carefule

2 Likes

Nice. Good to know.
I personally think it could be drift. But not sure if @EagleRidgeHemp has done a pest check.
If:
A) not all the plants present symptoms and symptoms are localized when present
B) soil/nutrients/water are uniform
C) there are no pests present
D) symptoms showed in 12hrs
E) growing environment is unifrom
F) plants outside environment, in proximity, display simular symptoms
Then:
I feel the one variable would be the herbicidal drift, which was stated to have been applied in area with prevailing winds in direction of affected plants. The unknown could be if/what herbicide was used by adjacent farmer.

2 Likes

check soil for anything attacking the roots

I’m really thinking drift also. I have 2 plants in each pot mostly and have numerous where one plant is totally fine. Plants that only have a few leaves affected, others the whole plant. Also, slight yellowing one whole plant and then a few leaves curled and shriveling on others. No sign of bugs.

If calmag, would I just try some epsom on a few plants. Or… ?

1 Like

Plants in first pics are hungry and the ones in the greenhouse are to wet. Whats the humidity in the GH?

2 Likes

Humidity has been fine, usually 50-60%, I did however try to flush and may have overdone it. However, they’re in 50 gallon pots that wer not fully watered in till now, I’ve only been watering around plants and surface for cover crop. Soil was 50% peat, 25% compost, 12% perlite, 12% sand, 1% bone and blood meal. I added about 8-10% worm castings. My rock dust was way late arriving due to covid, so I was just about to top dress azomite and dolomite with DE. Appreciate all the input, my master grower/advisor bailed on me at the beginning of the season. I’ve kinda shifted to a Clackamas Coot grow style, but I’m way behind on the curve.

BH305, Hungry for what?