Why set head condenser at 90

Hi all,

So I’ve done a few passes now following our consultants SOP and I’ve seen some decent success. Our last run particularly went very smoothly and the final product was the best we’ve done so far. My question is, and I’m sure our consultant explained why but I can’t for the life of me remember not find it, why do you set the head condenser on 90c or hotter during the main? Can anyone give me a run down on the science or any good links to a page explaining it?

Depends on ur head, but usually having 90C helps with moving the oil. You can increase it to 140-170C depending on vsc depth, in order to do a second inline distillation, you would keep the heads in vapor form so they fly pass the drop off (unless ur using a cow, then its useless) and your mains should be the only thing falling into the flask. If u do it right youll see snotty oil condensing right on the other side of the drop off

1 Like

It creates an enciroment rhat is ro hot dor anyrhing other than distilate ro condense. I eun mine well above 90c and slowly raise it afywr most of the terps are gone and it keeps the nasty heads fracrion in a bapor state ril after your distilate deop off point or before tou swing down tour distilate flask. 1st pass comes out jo smell and solid like a rock

2 Likes

Thank you both, that was my hunch but i couldn’t find anything to prove that. Side note, our water pump that runs to the head condenser has shit the bed twice now mid pass, before the water was even above 70c. Any reccomendations on a better pump?

I wouldnt reccomend an aquarium pump for the second consender above 70C
Thats where i saw failures too, i actually only cool or leave the second condeser off depending where i sm in the run. I set it to -20c for the volatiles 16c-150c on the bf then turn it off.
The firat one is set to the same temp as rhe bf, it scales with it to keep the head warm, then i go about 5C below vappr temp, but thats just rough guess cuz that temp js always different depending on the quality of the material.
Usalab has a heating bath or u can find used ones of other brands on ebay. Look for something thag is rated for 200C and use viton hosing
I went with usalab cuz its american, quick ship and didnt have to worry about how “used” the bath was from ebay. But if i didnt get usa lab i would try low balling people on ebsy, u should find one for under 500

1 Like

Usalabs is China hear you know that correct ?

Yes I meant it was a US company, so I could deal with everything in English and didnt have to pay int shipping fees if things went wrong. USAlab equipment is made by Lanphan. I paid extra because people on here had issues with direct ordering from them.

2 Likes