Why do my distillations take so long?

The foil was wrapped much tighter. I’ve kinda taken it off to peak in as the run was finishing. Yeah need to get some rope ASAP. The reason the LS mantle isn’t used is b/c lately I’ve been working with ~100g of material or less and have trouble with the stir bar bumping my probe when I under fill the flask. I think I’m gonna try a wire probe in between the flask and mantle.

I don’t put the probe in the material

Takes a bit of adjusting but probe between flask and mantle+ monitoring vapor temp is how I roll SPD

4 Likes

The normal rod type probe works for this? I was thinking I’d need to get just a wire one. One less thing to acquire is always good tho!

Steel probe works fine

There’s a wire in there too if you wanna get creative

1 Like

This is the result after 14.5 hours total.

2 Likes

Did you say 100ml in a 1l rbf?

1 Like

Who sold you all this?

100ml in a 1l flask is a problem. You have a massive headspace. Your bf isn’t insulated only 1/3 of it is getting heated. The remaining top of the boiling flask is much cooler and is acting like a dephlagmator(sp) for 100ml crude you need a 250ml bf. Your mantle is fine the problem is your implementation

7 Likes

Use the LS mantle and fill in the extra space with the small flask with fiberglass rope. 100 mL in a 1 liter flask should still work if everything is hot enough, I’ve done 1 liter in a 10 liter flask before.

1 Like

Yeah. I know it’s far from ideal, but it’s what I got. Will be upgrading asap tho.

No one. The 1L mantle and 1L 3 neck I had from my hobby chemistry days.

We expected our production requirements to be greater than they currently are so got a 2L SPD set up from LS. That’s about to change soon tho and so the LS 2L set up will see more action.

I probably have some cheap surplus stuff from my production line you need anything super cheap.

3 Likes