Why do my condensers turn purple?

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

1 Like

pH problem?

Maybe try a saline wash prior to distillation…

What’s a saline wash exactly? I wash mine with alcohol after use. And let air dry out after

Take your distillate and mix it to a 1:1 ratio heptane to oil. Ex 1 liter of oil to 1liter of heptane.
Then prepare a 10 gallon bucket of warm water with a ton of water softener salt.
Add 2 liters of that water to your sep funnel then add the heptane/oil mix to it and shake like no other. Then let it sit and separate and remove the gunk and aqueous layer leaving your oil/heptane mix behind. Repeat untill you see no more separation.

3 Likes

holy sh&$ batman, look at that grease tho!:face_with_raised_eyebrow: planning on fryin chicken around your BF neck?

just joshing, but yeah, grease slowly gets sucked in, so its best to use a thin film and ptfe sleeves.

also, zipties are def interesting… first time ive seen that one :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Air leak at the ziptie joint, perhaps. Worth checking.

I’m guessing you have a pretty substantial leak before the condenser joint. What are your vac levels like? Why so much grease on the boiling flask joint?

2 Likes

Looks like dow grease which will absolutely not seal on a hot 45/50 joint. Got to use the good stuff or it will leak due to the heat melting silicone grease.

100% has a vac leak and is pushing to hot to fast

Take the o ring out of the condenser and just use Apiezon grease

4 Likes

Dirty crude, idk how high do you get you vapor temps and how hot do you keep your condensers at?

I like the zip ties :+1:

That’s pretty scary Bro.
Doing chemistry without knowing the vocabulary even.

second thought

I’ve only EVER seen anything like this when I decarb improperly in spd resulting in crude volcano.

any pyroclastic flows recently in the lab?

going out on a limp to say even with a leak, that color and amount of coating is improbable.

almost sure this was a boil over with a clean neck swapped

if not, check your vac levels, and bump condenser temp way up to at least 85c

1 Like

So I took the grease off substantially and the reaction went away and stopped being purple but it’s very light now in the condensers.

Right now my micron level is at 292. And flask is boiling it out at 190° C

Condensers are at 70° C

Sorry I take long to reply. Only let’s me post three times a day cause I’m a new user.