Why Did This Concentrate Sugar?

Hi folks, my first post here. Just learning the ropes and had a question about a run I did last night. I don’t have much for a setup right now but my process is as follows:

Blasted 2x 45g tubes of autoflower nug that just finished drying with butane chilled in dry ice slurry, into a thermos sitting in slurry in a cooler. Let it sit ten minute to dewax then poured through filter onto a pyrex dish sitting in a 100°F water bath. As soon as enough solvent evaporated to scrape it was scraped onto parchment and put in my makeshift vacuum chamber, a 2cfm harbor freight pump hooked up to a mason jar that i wrap in a hot pad. The jar was about 90°F when I went to bed and 80°F in the morning. Purged for 12 hours overnight. Checked in the morning and it had turned into a beautiful sugar, which was not what I was expecting(not that I’m complaining). Gave it another 6 hrs to be sure it was purged with no change in texture. It’s extremely pungent and potent. My question is, why did it sugar up over night like that? Usually my low temp purges resulted in a sappier clear concentrate, turning to shatter the longer I vacced. Is it just higher terpene content from the material? It’s a lot more pungent than usual.

2 Likes

it’s a thca/terps and evaporation speed/solubility thing.
some strains have juuuuust the right ratios going on to make good consistencies without much effort.

4 Likes

Cool. Is there any more in depth information on this phenomenon and the conditions that best precipitate it out there? I would love to recreate this texture as much as possible. Gonna do a run with some different nug tonight and see how it comes out. Thanks for your reply!

well, what strain was this one?

2 Likes

Because terpenes can act as a solvent, it’s my understanding that they add a bit of “wiggle” room for the thca to collide. Extracts with a higher terpene content tend to sugar up on me quicker than those with lower terpene content. The quicker you remove terpene or solvent from the extract the more clear and stable it will be from my experience.

1 Like

Dry ice cold everything…blast fast. Reduce or recover all. Jar the oil ,give it week.

1 Like

That’s awesome!
From what I’ve seen, you had the a lot of THCA, low amounts of co-solvent/inhibitor, right time/temp, etc… also pH seems to be a factor. Lower pH appears to drive crystallization for THCA and also CBDA.
Enjoy, that’s lovely stuff.

1 Like

@Apothecary36 Not sure on the strain, came from a handful of autoflower seeds one of our clone suppliers gave us, something they developed. I’m curious now though so I will ask them next time I see em.

@DedGoldfish that makes sense, I figured the low temp purge and high terpene content just made the magic conditions. All the sugar I’ve made in the past had to sit a week.

1 Like

can you describe the smell

@8livedevil8 how can I test the ph of my material before I run it? Would be interesting info to include in my notes

put some material in ethanol and take ph of ethanol before and after

1 Like

@Apothecary36 Dominant scent is a classic gassy OG scent with lemon and garlic being the two other most prominent smells

1 Like

Hi, so When you say to Jar the oil. What type of Jar? Mason Jar or more of a flat Pyrex ? Are you spreading it thin? Or how much depth of oil should there be in the Jar ? Thanks for all the help !

1 Like

Try pouring directly onto the unbleached parchment paper instead of scrapping it. Your probably introducing to much agitation to the extract causing the nucleation. Also keep your temp the same through out the entire purge so instead of doing your 100 degree bath then lowering temps to 80-90 go straight to the 80-90 degree temps

2 Likes