Why did my Feco oil come out like shatter

What did I do wrong or what went wrong…

I started off by trimming fresh bud and freezing it. Then we put it through room temperature 99.9 % ethanol for 25min. After that we pressed it to get all the excess ethanol and oil out strained and filtered it through a series of filters and lastly through activated charcoal to take out the Chlorophyll. Ending up with a nice golden red color. Now the distillation process begins. After evaporating all the ethanol and getting the temp up to 108c and keeping it there for a hour to turn the thca into thc… and still running the hotplate stirrer.
Then somewhere it all went wrong, it started hardening up so that the magnet didn’t want to stir any more…that was only 5min in…the final product came out like shatter, glass hard…
Our previous runs was amazing. Nice dark product sticky tar like. With 55% thc.
Only difference we did was by pressing all the excess out of the plant material in the beginning before filtering. So with that we probably pressed out lipids and waxes…
Please help.
We still have a lot of product to process… but we need feco oil and not shatter like stuff…
Will winterization work with the product that is still in the ethanol to take out the waxes and lipids… and if that is the problem even…

My guess is that winterization would help. You used room temp ethanol which grabs lots of waxes. It could be sugars causing it as well.

2 Likes

Thanx!!! Im going to do try it out now. Hopefully it works. Not too sure what to do if it is the plant sugars.

1 Like

LLE with alkane and water washes.

1 Like