Why aren't quartz nails being treated as a cheap consumable?

Does anyone else wonder why, no name generic bulk ordered quartz nails aren’t treated as a consumable at head shops? Like why are screens 5$ a pack but no name generic quartz nails are 20$ a pop? What gives?

I understand there’s some stores selling a name and having to represent a name and sell name brand stuff at a fixed msrp due to a contract with a retailer like a guitar shop does with Fender or Ibanez but when there’s no name or significance besides the price that it cost to buy them in bulk…

The clarity and quality of the quartz play a huge part in the price along with the type of nail. Usually cheap bulk quartz will chaz (frost and lose decent long term thermal capacity) quickly and not hold a great heat in the first place.

Chapter 2 really gives a good idea of what sort of effort is put into the manufacture. Anything refined to a higher degree will likely cost more due to materials, electricity, increased labor costs (aka can’t get idiots to make it for pennies), etc.

But like I have a bit of insight into bulk quartz import and even naming Fender/Ibanez is a stretch. It’s like you’re really comparing a Squire (Fender guitar made in cheap overseas conditions by unskilled labor with inferior parts) which is your normal heady nail ($3-400) and the guitar you find at your friend’s apartment who you didn’t know even played so you try to tune it but there’s no name on the headstock and the low E breaks and slices your throat (99% of what you usually find in the wild).

In your part of the world they are simply capitalizing on the lack of the alternatives more than likely - once competition comes around they will likely have to not make 500% margins anymore. I mean shit, when I left MA awhile ago dabbing was not a thing AT ALL and from what i’ve heard from some back home it’s still been very slow to catch on. In CO you can find slurpers for a very reasonable 20-30 bucks instead of having to pay insanity 200+ prices. I feel where you’re coming from though, I bought a relatively big name banger as a gift to myself that looked like a titty…4-5 weeks it lasted before it cleanly broke off at the joint with damn near no force applied. I was fucking pissed and pretty much only wanted to use a dab straw and a peak for a few weeks after haha

3 Likes

IDK if you’ve seen DHGate, but quartz bangers are a dime a dozen wholesale. The price gouging comes in at the retail level due to good ole American capitalism. I’d rather use them as semi-disposables, I hate cleaning them lol

3 Likes