What type of filtration/process do I need to extract moldy bio mass?

I am new to this site, so sorry if I am asking a stupid question. I have been asked to extract about 15,000lbs of biomass that has some mold. What do I need to do to make a good quality product? We have a super chilled ethanol system.

It’s not about filtering out the mold. It’s about the potential aflotoxins and mycotoxins that could be present, which won’t be handled by any sort of filter. Also, consider the fact that after running all that material, you will likely need to meticulously clean all of your equipment before processing anything else. I have never found a single situation where it was worth extracting moldy product. The industry is swamped with biomass. IMHO, just move on to the next contract.

5 Likes

Do a micro extraction on the material- like grab 100 pounds or so of the gnarliest stuff and extract into
Hyper-Chilled ethanol, roto, dissolve in heptane- shitloads of oh swing brine washes, filter with all the media, distill, distill again- Then get it tested.

Don’t accept the co tract until you have a method developed that is proven and works.

7 Likes

Thanks for the info! sounds like a giant p.i.t.a.!

2 Likes

I could be wrong, but I noticed that extract ran thru B80 and DE consistently yielded 0 mycotoxins, while the flower and regular extract usually tests positive for such (microbial included with flower test). Perhaps its possible to utilize less powder than CR for this outcome.

Edit: apologies, this is with butane and propane. Perhaps, using heptane or another hydrocarbon/non polar solvent would yield the same result.

4 Likes

This is exactly what I came to say. The aflotoxins are the problem could lead to serious lung, cardiovascular and nervous system problems.

dumb question but how do you put tags into your post so you can ask a question/start a new topic?

I would use a trash bag filter, fill it completely to the brim. Insert into dumpster and let set indefinitely. It will make some fire.

6 Likes

Can aflatoxins and mycotoxins be distilled out of oleoresin?

Silica 90 blended with 15% magsil should strip it.

3 Likes

Is it typical to blend the magsil versus being its own layer?

Well it’s better blended near the bottom but really it’s a solvent and reduction of unwanted methods. You still need to do the strip. The unwanted parts will eventually become so low a second strip may remove everything.

2 Likes