What to do with my stems?

Have about 2 of these trailers full of stems, total weight unknown at this point, any suggestions on selling, using or should I just go ahead and compost it?

Is it possible to make toothpicks w/ them? or compressed fire logs, I can join the sales team if you can do either.

1 Like

I live in the woods in a cabin with a wood stove. I’ve stacked up some stalks before and burnt them in my wood stove for heat. Pelletize and feed them into a pellet stove…

5 Likes

I was told it doesn’t make good pellets. Not impossible tho

34 Likes

There are totally companies out there making all kinds of stuff that use the stalks instead of leaves/flower. If I had such nice looking stalks I’d be looking to turn them into pellets or hemp-crete. :slight_smile:

I’ve made stems into pellets for animal bedding before - but I couldn’t get anyone to buy it cause they were worried the animals would eat the hemp…

Other than that I’ve always composted - I run them through a chipper first so they break down faster. And then that compost grows my tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers the following year. :smiley:

Sure love to know what you end up doing with them.

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

2 Likes

Wow. That’s fucking beautiful.

2 Likes

Full disclosure: just a random Google picture lol. My sister has a bunch made from willow stems but hers isn’t quite as pretty.

8 Likes

knew you were a basket case…

5 Likes

That is the pun I needed at the end of a looonnngg day, thank you!

2 Likes

Hempcrete!

4 Likes

If you “can” pelletize them, I wo der how they would work in a pellet smoker? Or I use pellets for my ferrets litter pans. At 4.00/40lb bag, you cant beat it.

2 Likes

I’ve dry rubbed keif on wings & in the pellets it made for a damn tasty garanimals grilled/smoked chicken

2 Likes

I believe pelleted they don’t have the same btu as other materials. I discussed this over the winter when I was thinking of doing fire logs. I think compressed fire logs are the way to go.

1 Like

Are you f!"$%ÂŁ$ serious!!!

I wish you could have inspired me to do this 10 years ago …
That is epic ! It has got to be the most ingenious and beautiful use for grow waste i have ever seen.
Did you dry the stems and oil them to do this ? Or use them wet and let them dry ?

Edit : …

Not fair ! I feel cheated !!!

4 Likes

Sorry for the tease. With the willow branches they don’t even really need to be green, I suspect cannabis would be about the same. Certainly soaking them and weaving them wet would work

3 Likes

In the studies I read they have to be turned into coke via pyrolosis in order to achieve efficiencies similar to charcoal.

It was a helluva tease

1 Like

This went over my head, will have to make the deep dive on this later tonight. Thanks