What’s the thought on making the half of my lab that I don’t use into a community R&D space?

So basically I have a 13,000 SQFT warehouse in Florida. My lab only needs like 4000sqft we simply got it because it came with 60 tons of air handlers and 1600 amps of 3 phase power. So for like a solid year I won’t need more then even half the space.

If we built it out, would there be interest in creating basically a community usage of the space for R&D and formulation? This is not open to everyone it would be open to only people I vetted and believed were actually qualified and were experts in their field. It would all be CBD related. But my lab could supply small amounts of starting material for these projects at cost or maybe free if someone is really onto something groundbreaking. As we upgrade we will surpass all my smaller gear and that could be moved into the R&D space. The knowledge would then be shared with me to disperse to this forum or to at least spread among the guys working on this collective R&D project.

So small scale experiments. But with access and freedom to pursue things that otherwise you would not be able to safely or economically pursue.

Another option would be to basically charge a small amount of rent to come In and pursue certain research projects that you otherwise wouldn’t be able to pursue.

I’m basically just putting it out there to see what the viability of this thought is, and if that would be something y’all are interested in.

Again this is a fully legal and built out lab and it would be incite only once you’ve been vetted and cleared by me.

Thoughts? Opinions? Shit talking about how someone’s gonna blow up my lab? Let’s hear it all

9 Likes

how would this work from a regulatory stand point?

also double up on the security system and have a vault room for finished product if you dont already have one.

edit: also have a impassable physical barrier between your operating facility and your community driven lab, no one needs to know whats going on in your facility. most robberies in this industry seem to be inside jobs. id have concerns about bringing random people off the street, vetted or not, all it takes is one ass hole to swipe 100k in product and its game over. just my 2cents.

i love the idea though, im a lover of “hackerspaces” and “makerspaces”

2 Likes

It would be a totally seperate area. As far as regulatory CBD has next to no regs besides fire safety so it would be theoretically straightforward

1 Like

Security is pretty straight forward as long as it’s a small amount of people allowed in and the doors to my actual production area is locked. On top of any finished product is always in our vault room to begin with. Even protected against our own employees

1 Like

right on sounds like you got it figured out.

if anything you could monitize the community driven side by offering classes and workshops and what not. hell just even like a basic chemistry “show” were you do classic experiments would be kinda cool lol. lots of ways you could go with this.

how much hemp is in FL?

If I lived in Florida I would totally use this. I’ve been looking for an arrangement like this in Oregon.

3 Likes

Definitely stuff to work out. But the idea seems rather cool

2 Likes

Cannabis think tank! Great idea. The vetting might be a bitch though. Lots of wolves looking like sheep out here.

2 Likes

I like the idea, but I don’t know how viable it is. Depends on the local community.

Modeling it after a maker space would be neat.

Have a commercial kitchen that can be rented out.

1 Like

There a lot of us in Florida that have to fly out to various legal places to conduct research. This is the only way i can do LEGAL research these days. I cant risk going to jail in my state for researching. I have too much to lose. I know there are a lot of us here in the EXACT same situation. Im sure @BG305 would much rather do market research here too near family and friends rather in his labs all the time in California. Then bring the tech and SOPs to california for production.

Personally id rather hone my craft here in FL with cbd and hemp. Then fly all the time to various labs giving my tech away for free in exchange for a way to research legally.

4 Likes

Exactly, me and @Killa12345 have discussed this and it’s a good look. Chit, I could fly from Homestead General AP, pick @Killa12345 up at Boca general AP and be landing in Orlando an hour later. We could work the day and be back home for dinner.

4 Likes

Ya and it would be a small group of us in Florida like the top Florida guys maybe a group of 5 or so if that allowed in. Something like that. Totally just a fun idea right now. But it’s definitely possible.

2 Likes

Thought is when other people in lab other than yourself/team end up not valuing what it took to build it out and your risk of starting a lab fire goes up 10,000,000%

1 Like

You think anyone will let someone in a lab to operate unattended?

So your saying the top Florida guys would burn his lab down? :man_facepalming: I know a savant just like you.
He is super gifted in his field, works and does conferences at many universities. Being a savant leaves him with 0 social skills though. I understand this so I do not get insulted by some of the things he says because we are friends. The problem you are on an open forum and 99% of the people you speak to are not your friends.

5 Likes

No I’m just saying accidents happen. I’d rather be the one having a accident than someone renting my spot. Just saying.

2 Likes

You are most likely RIGHT :joy: