What is this? Crystal's forming in my terp fraction

Hello everyone I have a question, I’ve been distilling a lot of crude and noticed that I have some crystalization forming in my terp fraction(first flask). First pass crude , can anyone help me figure this out , I think it might be neem oil?20190123_143417|375x500

4 Likes

Did the grower use neem oil or does it just have a stink about it that reminds you of neem oil?

You could probably use saponification followed by filtration through bentonite to remove a lot of the actual oils from that distillate but you may be stuck with the terpeneoid compounds from the neem oil.

Assuming that it is neem oil that’s in it.

Has the flask been sitting for multiple days? How long did it take to crystallize? one of the most common pesticide ingredient is neem, so I can understand your thought on that

Whatever the hell they sprayed on their plants they put a lot on it… how was the quality of the trim? Did it smell good? Did the trichomes look like they chopped early?

No the crude oil it self doesn’t smell like neem. I know the grower and I know he should know better than to spray neem or ect. in flower phase … I ran a batch of crude a few weeks back that came up 9% CBD and didn’t have that reaction

It was a mixed flower/trim lot (40/60)

1 Like

Looks like more thca forming really

If he decarbed properly before making wouldn’t that Hender that?

1 Like

Not if its CBD

2 Likes

Some sort of crystal, pretty certain it’s not neem cuz that’s a shitton. I feel like they would have had to spray it at the end of flower to get that much.

I was referring to the thcA comment, but I don’t make disty so idk

Here’s the test score of the crude oil

Test it! The first fraction, that is crystallizing I mean… I’d send it for a test…
My guess would be THC-A maybe? How thorough was your de-carb? Looks like the crude has a decent amount of THC-A present.

1 Like

This hemp snot came over at 154C head temp and 112 microns. Farmer claimed it was organic practices and didn’t spray anything. Finally admitted to it after I sent the pictures and asked 3 times on the phone. “But I only used a little bit”

God if i had a nickel for every time i had that conversation when i was running pesticide testing lab.

8 Likes

So that all left over spray?