What is the best column filter design after Ethanol?

Stainless sintered filters in junction with filter paper can get as low as 1um. I only ever went down to 3um. I hear good things about 150um> 5um> 5um>3um>1um. Well yeah if you use to much media you can filter out cannabinoids however I’m not sure if that’s the case with just filtering/Winterizing without any media involved.

2 Likes

Depth filtration or scrubbing is where cannabinoid losses tend to stick. Adsorbents are rather fond of them. I’ve not seen filter papers ever catch them either, and I regularly filter down to 0.2um (the necessary pore size to eliminate mold spores). Cannabinoids are smaller than that when suspended in solution.

And @GroovyOctopusLabs, you’d hear much better things about an appropriately graduated system. 150um is massive! Kief and finely ground biomass can move with relative ease through an 80um filter. I can image that would blind the 5um filter pretty easily, dramatically slowing one’s process.

I used to use 100um> 50um> 20um (coffee filter)> 5um> 1um> 0.2um back when all of my filtration was 2D. If you really want that color like one sees with butane slabs, 3D is the way to go. I’ve also done 80um> 20um> 5um and had great results. Extraction process plays a massive role in what post processing looks like.

@Royboy0330, the question of “when is it enough filtration vs did I filter too much out” is a very subjective one. It very much depends on one’s end goal as to determine the necessity of any particular process. End product and end user can change what that looks like.

Many believe there to be more medicinal value in extracting and consuming everything one can from the plant (warm extraction with minimal, if any, filtration). Others believe that the more highly refined, the more one can treat it like medicine. Medical, recreational, edible, dabbable, topical, etc will all likely have a different answer to that question. The retail market is especially weird about what they want,when they want it, and how long until they want something else.

Long story short, what do you think? Your answer is as valid as anyone else’s.

2 Likes

How’s the speed on this?

Pretty quick but it depends on how quick u can Nascar style swap out filters. I was buying the filters buy the 100s they ended up being about $1 a pop and you could replace a few every kilo depending on material

2 Likes

Deleted