What do you guys for preheating your roto material?

Wondering what the options are for pre heating my input material for my rotos to get that maximum capacity.

Before we get creative with it wondering if yall had any good suggestions.

1 Like

I’m also interested in this.

Maybe 55 gallon drum heaters, SS pipe with heat tape, or maybe a dudadiesel heat exchanger?

I think it was Soxhlet that blew some minds with a post suggesting a pass thru the roto condenser coil… I’ve always wanted to try this it seems brilliant.

1 Like

use a small double coil or plate exchanger

2 Likes

Just use a sous vide and a small coil connected to your feed line and set temp a few degrees less than tour roto bath

4 Likes

Was probably just gonna put a coil in a hot water bath and feed it through the coil then into the inlet valve into the roto. simple

1 Like

I would think it a better idea to use a shell and tube or other form of heat exchanger and insulate it well, plumb it on the output side of the condenser (for the glycol loop), station it vertically so all your tea drains out and IMHO, I would still be using a stainless tubing loop in the roto bath to make sure its hot as it can possibly be before it goes in your roto intake valve.

Also, make sure to properly secure your hoses to everything, for tubing-over-metal connections brewery stores often carry Oetiker-style stepless stainless clamps that work very well.

2 Likes

I use one of these paired with a sou vide and a five gallon bucket.

4 Likes

Do you not have your flask spinning and preheated prior to opening the inlet? That usually speeds things up quite a bit.

I’ve heard sou vide a lot but what is it? I guess I’ll just google it

Oh those kitchen like water heaters

1 Like

Someone just mentioned just running a flat coil underneath the heating elements of the rotos waterbath… so simple. I’m trying it tonight

3 Likes

Haha I did like that. But is there enough space to submerge your flask entirely without rubbing the coil? Is your bath deep enough?

How flat could you get while still having enough surface area? I guess those baths are pretty wide instead of stacking it up stack the coils outward… that could work rly rly well

flat spiral that runs underneath the heating coil, just run the in and out up the walls.

1 Like

You have one of those just sitting around? Or get that made?

1/4 copper comes in flat spirals from the hardware store, join two together at the center with a compression fitting, voila.

1 Like

I’ll post pics tomorrow- seems stupidly easy to mod and the roto baths never ever really hit peak Kw so its like a many birds with a stone thats been sitting in front of you the whole damn time

1 Like

No for sure great idea. No need for excess shit going on

@Kingofthekush420

:expressionless: and here I’ve been fighting with extension cords because the circuit I have my roto on can’t handle the heating bath and sous vide at the same time. One hell of a “duh” moment rn.

1 Like