What do I do with my Welch pump

So a few months ago, I bought a 5l shortpath system from a friend of a friend without really knowing anything. It came with a welsch duoseal 1/3 hp pump. I originally used that pump for my spd, before being told that it doesn’t pull near enough cfm for a 5l system. My question now is … What do I use this pump for? What do people normally do with it?

roto or filtering

1 Like

Micro distillation R&D

2 Likes

Dedicated Buchner pump

3 Likes

They are good for filtering I use mine on my roto but they are not designed for it but they were cheap enough for me not to care

*** I was thinking of a Wob-L pump not the duoseal belt driven one. I wouldnt use that on a roto. maybe filtering or vacuum oven

2 Likes

That is a belt driven pump and is not a diaphragm pump.

Should be ok for distillation if you can pair it with a diffusion pump. It doesnt seem rated for roto use but I wouldn’t mind using it for filtering ethanol or isopropyl alcohol or methanol

2 Likes

That pump is good for vacuum ovens, its not really fast enough to back a diffusion pump. itll work on your 5L but its definitely not ideal and your run will take long but it will reach appropriate depths.

I wouldnt use it for any filtering or rotovaps, itsll pull too low and youll cold boil all your solvent

4 Likes