WFE Isolation of Heads from Volatiles/Terpenes

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a way to isolate our heads or “fools gold” from the more volatile compounds such as terpenes. We currently run a WFE hot on our volatile strip to get the heads or “fools gold” out to get rid of anything to mess with our vacuum depth or create striations in the end distillate however this past run we got bout 40% of the initial decarbed crude as heads and volatiles and was wondering if there’s a way on a WFE to run those again to isolate the volatiles and terpenes to the distillate side and heads or any main compounds to the residue side in hopes to rerun one more time the clean heads to see if I can pull anymore distillate from it. Was thinking running 150c on evaporator and 30c on condenser around 5-600 micron as King of Kush has posted before he isolates terpenes before stripping heads but wanted anyone’s opinion is this possible?

so you’re not testing the potency of your fractions at all? Just going on color and volume? ever considered In House analytics

yes, what you’re asking is absolutely doable. if you had in house analytics you’d have no trouble dialing the temps. without, you’ll just have to guess and iterate.

3 Likes

Currently we do not have in house analytics we are working on getting an HPLC for in house testing but for the mean time yes going on viscosity and color to know it’s most likely not main fractions but came out more then normal so wanted to try to separate the more thick heads from the very thin terps or volatiles in hopes to rerun for any mains I left behind and was wondering thoughts on how to do so!

100c main body 0c internal condenser, 7-8torr

You have tried this? Sounds interesting any reasoning heard 150/30 as well 5-600 micron but couldn’t figure the reasoning

Run your internal 100 degrees below your jacket is the general rule of thumb, aim your temps based on target compound boiling point and vac level

1 Like

yeah these are the conditions i run my co2 ext terpenes to turn them colorless/cannabinoid free.

any volatile molecule will flash to either your distillate collection or your first condenser.

with the conditions you mention i would think youd be sending a lot of those volatiles into your cold trap/pump