Weird Lab Results

Is it possible for a laboratory to easily mistake T-free CBD isolate for THCA?

I’m giving my analysis lab a call when they’re open, but I thought I’d reach out and ask if anyone has had this happen before.

Thanks y’all

1 Like

Hmm not really how high. Are the numbers ?
Wish you have a shit load of thc a thou :grin:

1 Like

No, they should have no resemblance in any method I’ve seen.

1 Like

The math makes it throwing distance from a 1 to 1 conversion. Okay, so either the lab made a basic typing mistake or someone accidentally gave me a bunch THCa instead of CBD. I know for sure though I didn’t make THCa. I have no idea how to do that. oh man…

2 Likes

Yeah, I checked the elution order for a bunch of methods too and couldn’t find any where those two cannabinoids are close to each other. Thanks for confirming I’m not missing something here.

O man well at least it s not the other way around worse case you got the cbd you thought
Or a nice batch of thc a :fist_left:

3 Likes

If i had to guess a lab technician probably put your vial in the wrong autosampler slot or something. Seems like a case of mistaken identity.

4 Likes

Thanks for mentioning that. I’ll ask the lab if that’s a possibility. I’m trying to learn the ins and outs of analysis and every little bit counts. :+1:

1 Like

It could be a dirty column at the lab. Or a typo. Likely a dirty column if they were testing thc tho. Send it to another lab. Unfortunately. And if the results come back as expected from lab b, ask for your money back, or at least credit from lab A. Imho, we’ve had to do the same.

1 Like

Nice. That’s a solid plan.

Good call on asking the lab about all the things you guys mentioned (dirty column, autosampler issues, etc.), but after a bunch of free re-testing of my starting and final material the lab says they are 100% certain I converted CBD to THCA. They offered more free testing if I do my experiment again to see if in fact this a reproducible thing. The mechanism involved… after several conference calls, no one has any idea.

2 Likes

No idea how you could have converted? What was your sop if u wanna share

Damn If u can turn cbd into acidic thc, ur the new canna wizard

6 Likes

Well Now you reallly have triggered my curiosity Please tell me you still have the original biomass used :pray::grin:

3 Likes

I did not start with any biomass, but some CBD isolate purchased from a vendor. The vendor COA stated the isolate as 99.62% CBD and it was verified by my lab as CBD 97.8% CBDV 0.2%. My subsequent re-tests of the isolate raw material after the unexpected result consumed the last of the original isolate. I got more from the same vender, same purity on their COA (will verify for sure).

2 Likes

So what exactly did you do with it?
@phenethylamine1

What were you trying to do?

1 Like

If you did go CBD to THCa, the first step is acid-catalyzed ring closure to form the pyran ring.

Now for recarb…if there is any CO2 present then it acts as an electrophile and the phenol undergoes keto-enol tautomerization to attack the electrophile. Basic conditions deprotonate the cyclohexadiene to re-establish aromaticity. Then acidic conditions protonate the carboxylate and you have THCa.

The mechanism never changes…only the reagents do.

4 Likes

Is exposure to atmospheric/ambient levels of CO2 enough to make this happen in theory when exposed to a catalyst?

Theoretically.

2 Likes