Weird color after flash column

Hey fellow chemists and scientists.
So we have our short path system up and running (Thanks Lab Society!) and I put my first batch of distillate through my reverse phase Flash column to remove THC. My distillate was a single pass and looked quite pretty. However after going through the column and evaporating off the ethanol and water from the CBD fractions if has a very noticeable greenish hue. And I’m stumped as to where its coming from. Anyone seen anything similar or have any thoughts?
I’ve attached pictures of the distillate (in a mason jar) and column purified oil (in the two sample vials to show the green color.

It might be a ph alteration of your pass deu to the column so check ph and report back
Ph of the first pass and of the croma pass :fist_left:

It’s just it having been in solution. Doesn’t matter the solvent, though obv. faster in some then others.

Cannabinoids degrade to colored compounds quickly in any solution, even if chilled. The issue is a tiny amount of change creates a lot of color.

You need to redistill after chromatography unless you remove solvent very very quickly.

3 Likes

We can help you remediate the color if you need, just let us know. Thank you, Greg gregh@heyesfilters.com

You are not proposing an activated carbon filter as the solution i hope ?
Sure wonder what it is you have that will de color this ???

Not for this, color remediation of THC-free CBD distillate will isomerize enougn CBD to THC.

It is also not needed as distillation does the trick.

2 Likes

I really wonder if it is cannabinoids that degrade to change the color
I remeber @Beaker having his amazing beautiful waterclear d9 dissolved without isseus and once evaporates water clear again
It did get red fast but not dissolved

1 Like

Could be but I have seen it with pure CBD. Higher purity definitely colors much slower but still occurs.

1 Like

Good day sir ,
As stated by @Dabatronicus
Using powders on distilllates is a
Complicated matter cannabinoids are way more fragile once concentrated
activated carbon and clay s can create havoc in a second
The only powder i know to not Harm
Yet remediate color on distillates and filtered really well is magsil pr
All other powders will /might work but can have consequenses
Please be advised🤛

I know what’s wrong. Find me on ig. I have a product designed to remove those degrating components.

What is happening?

Yea I think your right. Breaking out the pH strips next week.

So that type of color and how it’s spreading that color is a very simple explanation. Without being scientific I’ll say it simply.

In a pure compound of materials where resin based organic material is present, you can’t “rot” the pure compounds. However those proteins, keystone’s, and aldehydes all “rot” and sorta develop themselves with water or water molecules present. This includes water soluables. So by removing those rotten molecules and compounds that are co effecting each other as time goes by you will eliminate this. There’s a simply process to remove them, but it doesn’t take a whole column of any media. Hit me up on IG and I’ll guide you through it. It can all be saved.

1 Like

And it works without isomerization of CBD to THC ? They used chromatography to specifically remove THC only, not color.

Further color remediation is definitely possible but usually results in enough isomerization to cause the disty to spike hot. Only takes .3% Thc to ruin the whole process

2 Likes

I was thinking of carbon, but it sounds like you have had a bad experience with this material? Thanks, Greg

Please be scientific. The chemist here appreciates it. Whats you IG username?

Takes less than that for me. My goal if possible it to have TCH come back as ND.

1 Like

I’m assuming your talking about degradation from leftover sugars and proteins degrading and denaturing under distillation heat. I can def see some pH changes from protein degradation. I’ll know next week but I’m betting I’m going alkaline.