Weird bud die-off, help pls

I’ll trim and isolate immediately.

I’ll get on top of the program here to eliminate the fungus and rot. Thanks so much.

1 Like

Why would you use a pesticide if insect predation hasn’t even been confirmed?

In my opinion, the leaf necrosis and wilt is indicative of pathogen infiltration. Pythium would be my first guess.

Anyways, the company who makes Suffoil-X wants everyone to believe that their product’s mechanism of action is via suffocation/anoxia. This is due to the fact that if the product is (supposedly) non-toxic, they don’t have to deal with the extensive and rigorous approval process for pesticides that acquire a mechanism of action that works through toxicity, set forth by the EPA.

If you’d like to see some peer-reviewed literature which unequivocally proves that petroleum pesticides actually kill via cellular toxicity… let me know.

Despite what BioWorks is claiming, unless they can provide conclusive data pertaining to post-application evaporation kinetics, photodegradation rates, microbial-degradation rates, and surface half-life (which they can’t, because I’ve asked them publicly - but to no avail)… petroleum products should not be applied during flowering, and especially not during the last week of flower (unless you like smoking toxic byproducts formed by thermal degradation).

If “suffocation” was actually the mechanism of action for a product that’s so effective … Then they would’ve just formulated Suffoil-X as friggin’ corn oil and saved astronomical amounts on overhead costs.

5 Likes

The plants in the pic that I enlarged need to be pulled out entirely. Inspect the crown (the area below the dirt where the roots join the base of the stalk) and the roots for necrosis. Likewise, split the stalk and check the vascular cambium/pith for discoloration. If there is necrosis/discoloration or if the roots are withered away… it’s definitely Pythium and/or Fusarium.

If that’s the case, treat the surrounding plants with Trichoderma harzianum & Bacillus subtilis (Serenade). You might be able to supress the pathogen and outrun it, thus saving the remaining plants for harvest.

4 Likes

Imo I’d toss and start fresh.

Any form of rot = no good

This is just my 2 cents tho

1 Like

Didn’t read threw the whole thread at that point. When I suggested it, was when a lot of people were saying broads/russets, was saying that’s an option for them. Thanks for the info on suffoil

3 Likes

Great info

1 Like

Yes, but there were some plants that weren’t really exhibiting symptoms and it seemed like he was really banking on finishing the run and doesn’t have another shot until next season. It might be worth trying to salvage the ones that aren’t discolored with a bioremediation approach.

6 Likes

Any idea how PFR-97 compares to Grandevo. PFR-97 uses a fungus, and Grandevo uses a bacterium. Maybe they could be used on a rotation as part of IPM.

1 Like

I would do what they do in the banana fields and isolate the healthy plants from the unhealthy. Then inspect closer before doing anything else. First and for most I’d look to salvage the healthy plants that can be saved. Good luck sounds like with the rain coming will be a tough time.

2 Likes

Like I said my 2 cents.

I hate spores and fungus and mold and Rot of any kind so I chop off what I can and wait or toss it all. Usually toss, to worried about ppm/ppb and other shit.

I jus be extra cautious when dealing with this shit.

1 Like

All I know is grandevo is great. For outdoor and in. I rotate it with venerate.

One of my go to ipm products.

6 Likes

It looks like a fusarium. Fusarium winterizes and occupies that space forever, u can never plant cannabis in that soil again

Distinguishing between Pythium and Fusarium can be extremely tricky, but I’m leaning towards Pythium, based on the coloration and wilt. But as I mentioned earlier, plants can be coinfected with both.

Nonetheless, Rosenthal doesn’t know what he’s talking about in this particular instance, as combined Trichoderma harzianum/Bacillus subtilis treatments provide extremely effective biocontrol, so the notion that the soil is no longer viable for future propagation is false.

5 Likes