Website content claims and regulations

Hello folks, wondering what are the restrictions to blogging about CBD benefits on my CBD store (Europe based). I wouldnt be making any direct claims as to the health benefits of my product, but would simply be discussing molecular details, therapeutic potential of cannabinoids etc, as is in the literature. Is having this information on the same site seen making impermissible health claims for your product ?

If your country is anything like the USA, never use medical in any working or even hinting to that word. FCC just came down hard on quite a few companies.

4 Likes

US-based- had to hire lawyers to scrutinize all our marketing materials thanks to the FDA cracking down on ALL product claims for human and livestock consumption.

4 Likes

Thanks, I imagine it’s similar here but companies like C’Web discuss pain relief, sleep aid etc, that would seem medical to me. Is even discussing anti-inflammatory mechanisms, basic science out of question? I’ll have to get the lawyers involved too I think.

Your Qualified Person should be able to help with this - if you don’t already have a lawyer you are working with. They are responsible for your product the whole time it is in the UK or anywhere in the EU. At least if you are marketing it as food supplement, cosmetic, or drug product.

They should be able to point you the right direction for any label claims and indirectly any marketing materials including websites can get wrangled into label claim discussions here in the states. I have not see it happen the same way in the UK before… but you never know.

You could always pick up the phone and ask the MHRA what they think about it. I’m sure they will let you know directly. I always found them to be incredibly direct and often quite helpful.

If you are somewhere else in the EU - your Qualified Person would still be my first stop for asking this question. And then looking to your national health organization - as that is where most of the rules are landing for CBD specific stuff. If you are not making the product yourself, but are just making it available for sale, the Qualified Person from your supplier, should also be able to provide you marketing authorization information regarding this.

If you happen to be somewhere in Europe that is not in the EU - I’m not sure where you should look, I haven’t worked outside of EU umbrella except in the UK.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks pal, thats very insightful. We’re based in the UK and Ireland currently so that’s all relevant.
Happy new year to you.

I plan on using a few anecdotal stories asociated with the brands names. Like I could call it grannies and use a story such as my grandma loved this product. You cant claim any specific results but you could say grandma loves it.

But doesn’t it become your claim if you publish it?

It’s like telling your kid “We don’t say the word damn in this house”. Well, you just said it.

That’s my experience. People in the US can just look at the warning letter language (its really specific) to see what the FDA and FTC is pointing out specifically here.

Then if you feel yourself leaning towards saying things that look like or are very similar too, what has been said that received warning letters - don’t say it. Don’t publish it.

I have not seen any enforcement actions out of the EU yet, but I’m not really watching like I do here in the US.

1 Like