UVB and hemp crude mother liquor

late night thought, if UVB degrades D9, could you not crash out the CBD out of distillate, isolate that, then expose the mother liquor to UVB in a thin film to remediate the thc, then readd it to the cbd isolate to the mother liquor keeping it under 60%. Would that not yield a near THC free distillate? Or would the mother liquor by that time be some brown unusable chemical soup? If this is an insane or ignorant question I both apologize and would love to know why

I believe the issue is that there is also a significant amount of cbd in the mother liquor which will move through a D9 degradation with UVB treatment? Yielding more thc than one may have started with.

Correct me if I am wrong please

2 Likes

Is the degradation caused by UVB not oxidation? if i am reading this correctly (good chance im not) CBD degrades by oxidation into a Quinone

1 Like

although for personal reasons i hope your right :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

From my experience UVB works the best when used on flower or kief. Extract exposed to it was not really affected by it. But I tried to use it on a mag stirred container rather than exposing it as thin film.

1 Like

Could you continue the degradation reaction CBD—>THC->CBN to remediate?

2 Likes

You could but it’s not as simple as dumping crude/distillate into a beaker and then hitting it with light. There are little nuances in photochemistry that make a difference.

1 Like

Assuredly so, we were talking about remediation for mother liquor though, not crude or distillate. Would a thin film in a pyrex dish at atmosphere under uvb cause degradation of mother liquor to CBN?

Edit: or do you still need reverse phase chromatography?

1 Like

I would avoid using photochemistry. You cannot avoid a reaction from CBD.

You don’t need to use reverse phase chromatography. It’s just easier to use. You can use silica as the stationary phase and separate THC from CBD with some fine tuning.

4 Likes