UV Light over compound

The concept of bleaching chlorophyll and other colors like carotenoids using UV light is well known and arguably goes back thousands of years.

Generally from what I can tell the most efficient way to do this is to place the compound it solution then place in a clear glass container and let sit in the sun for a day or two. UV wacks the color and while the compounds are not removed per se it still leads to further refinement as the breakdown products take little to remove if needed.

This month med run deviated insofar as I skipped chlorophyll removal. This also means other coloring agents are present and multiple passes pretty well cleans it up but… for three years now I have been altering from time to time the compound before I could distill but otherwise could purify by using UV. I put the compound in an applicator syringe which fits inside the tubes making up the CFL UV-B bulb and when it sits there for a few days boy howdy does it mellow up lolz. That space in those tubes holds a 5 ml applicator fine, but then again this was an old technique because I was very limited.

This photo shows my trusty UV bulb (reptile section Petco) having sat overnight above compound held under deep vacuum. Chamber was pulled down to one micron and will be cycled on and off through the day.

I can guess what those bubbles are but… who knows for sure. UV might be breaking down cannabinoid but with certainty there is no oxygen present in that chamber as of this photo. My working theory for the moment is that UV will not break down (wishful thinking?) cannabinoid if there is no oxygen present.

It was interesting to awake to bubbles though I had seen gas generate in my dispensers put in the bulb too. Even if it is the chlorophyll and carotenoids degrading and producing gas it is hard to say if this is a better flavor or not but the obvious goal here is removing color.

Update now a few hours later from OP. My chamber leaks down to about 800 microns in a few hours. I had already pulled a lot of the bubbles from the top photo out by pulling the chamber down again to one micron. Now, a few hours later I came back again to 800 microns and again pulled it down. This is like fizzy cola lolz but at snail speed divided by a hundred. Even as I snapped the photo like bubbles were expanding.

I love this stuff but only guessing what the bubbles are.

3 Likes

Very interesting… UV is pretty severely attenuated (weakened) by thick glass. I can tell you that if oxidation is occurring (and it can occur without oxygen, especially in the presence of ionizing radiation, like shortwave UV or UVC, or possibly longer wave UVA or UVB), that the bubbles are hydrogen.

2 Likes