Using solar charging kit for 12v batteries, use in greenhouse

Just built a new greenhouse and unfortunately I don’t have any power ran to it. Before I get trenches dug and wires ran, I wanted to use 12v batteries to power LED string lights just to prevent any preflower issues/control their schedule tighter. Has anyone had experience running this type of set up? Just want to know if anyone has opinions, but I might be better off running 600 ft of extension cords.

I figure two solar charging kits, two deep cycle batteries, two inverters and a set of string lights to each setup.

Use solar powered string lights off of Amazon. @Thetetraguy recommended this on another thread

1 Like

We are adding these to the greenhouse. 8000 lumen solar led parking lot light

2 Likes

Wow great find should’ve really just went to alibaba first. Going to order those flood lights right now thank you for linking.

A couple words of caution for OP and anyone else looking at this, first off is I would be very hesitant to run a consumer-grade inverter unattended, had a piece of shit Black & Decker inverter catch fire in my truck while I was using it, fortunately I was present to prevent it from burning everything to the ground.

Other concern is with voltage drop & auto-shutoff, many of the cheaper inverters I’ve used didn’t like putting out AC voltage when the vehicle they were hooked to wasn’t running, I suspect you’d have the same problem shortly after full charge was slightly depleted with a deep cycle battery.

I think you’re on the right track using something that is designed for lower voltage or self contained.

1 Like