Using material column to dissolve crude with hot butane

Was wondering if anyone had any tips on redissolving dark bho(stuff that bypassed crc due to clog). I was considering doing a bench top filtration for color but am not sure if a solvent like pentane would be work if my end goal is crumble or diamonds. From what I’ve read, it’s best to dissolve the crude into hot solvent for diamonds. Thinking maybe dissolving in pentane then filtering might work for crumble/shatter, but I’m unsure of purging process for pentane.

So I figured the easiest route might be to use the hot loop on my CLS to dissolve the dark slabs/crude- possibly hot jacket the columns as well, then once dissolved push through crc into collection. Was considering possibly putting some material bags in the columns and putting the crude/dark slabs on top of that.

If not that, what other sort of pressure vessel would be ideal?

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Using your material column to hold the bho is perfectly fine. Just make sure that you allow for enough time for the bho to dissolve before you move it through the crc
Edit: there tons of examples of others doing this if you just search the forums

5 Likes

can I trouble you for a link? Or keywords I should use to search for? I tried to search for quite a while but can’t find what I’m looking for. I know I’ve stumbled across people talking about it somewhat indirectly or more in passing. Looking for a little more detail if possible, like possible rough/specific temps and pressures people are using.

Ihttps://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/butane-d_1415.html
Seems around 50c at 40-100psi would be ok in a system rated for 250psi. No sight glasses so hard to say when it’s all dissolved by feel. Obviously the amount trying to be dissolved would come into play. Just not sure how i’d go about finding the right time so I don’t clog by filters, or waste a bunch of time if I can help it.

Search results for ‘redisolve bho’ - Future4200
Many examples in those posts. Just check em out until you comfortable doing it

2 Likes

Do a hot vapor loop with the coil at 60-80f and it’ll dissolve in minutes instead of hours

4 Likes

see: Re-dissolve BHO for CRC @murphymurri actually links to a couple of videos

so what did you use for search queries?

note the spelling on the thread linked above…

I cheated used Search results for '@murphymurri boil' - Future4200

yeah, warm solvent helps…as does agitation. @murphymurri is correct, adjusting the temp/pressure, so you have a solid boil going, is probably the easiest way to achieve that agitation if you don’t have a hash capable liquid pump in your system for circulation.

4 Likes

Sorry, I hope it’s not too obvious just how little energy I put into that response!
Edit: To be honest I still haven’t read past the second sentence of his post… (Note the lack of italics)

1 Like

I found a bunch of old oil and decided to crc it. It all melted into a small quantity of butane. Im gonna mix it intoa big column of butane prior to crc but you dont need to heat it. All my mixiing was sub zero and no pressure and COLD but it eventually mixed with no heat and it was stiff and stuck to the jar frozen.

3 Likes

are you genuinely curious or just busting balls?

I actually searched “redisolve bho”(yes with that spelling), but I did try quite a few other combos(redissolving crude, etc) and stumbled upon posts like this Looking for a good way to clean up shitty oil without the need for a rotovap - #5 by cyclopath
which no one seemed to have much of a conclusive answer. Or tons about ethanol crude

either way thanks for the useful links.

1 Like

Agitation is key to making it go fast. Doesn’t need to be hot, either, just warm enough to make the solvent boil. Room temp is sufficient.

I have used 100 micron mesh socks (same as you might use for weed) for when in a new lab and I have to dissolve in a column where sightglasses are not available/possible. The benefit of the socks is that any oil that doesn’t dissolve will still be in the sock at the end of the run, rather than blocking/clogging the bottom of your column. This is also a very easy way to rinse your diamonds if you want those bright clear colorless crystals :sunglasses:

13 Likes

I’ve tried with cold and ran into the same problems. For my purposes that would be to slow and inefficient since it both lowers the ability of butane to dissolve bho and the added cold doesn’t help.

off topic but ive seen a dirty diamonds thread that didnt answer, they were taliking heptane and shit. Will a quick butane rinse of dirty diamonds clean them right up? I was slightly worried the butane could redissolve them?

Can’t thank you enough. I think I will have to rinsing diamonds like that as well.

Cold fast and not too much

it wasnt fast but i got about 5 oz bho dissolved in a jar. I shook it and put it back in the freezer over and over. It had melted past parchment and was stuck in the jar. I used some used w1 powder and thats all mixed in. Ill crc it and hopefully it comes out more clear, im funna make me some gummies out of it.

are instructions on how to wash the damn things…

3 Likes

ive washed them w butane before, I just saw weird suggestions in that thread, I dont even know what heptane is? Im just stuck sitting on it. Novody I know is interested in diamonds.

are you asking?

it’s a hydrocarbon like propane plus butane, only it’s liquid a room temp so it’s easier to deal with.

its like propane plus butane combined…literally.

CH3-CH2-CH3 == propane (3 carbon)
CH3-CH2-CH2-CH3 == butane (4 carbon)
CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3 == heptane (7 carbon)

3 Likes

cool, I just research what I think I need to, I thought it was a ssociated with alcohol extractions so I never looked it or many other things up yet. I looked and its like 100 for a liter And I only have a handfull of diamonds so ill just do a quick wash of cold butane. Ill prolly just use them as seeds or something because I cant sell it and its covid so noplace to meet people.

Your using W1 on your oil for edibles? I’m too fucking poor to run that shit on sugar leaf for diamonds and sauce. I still think you’re the cops up in here trying to play it cool…

2 Likes