Using a rotovap after using falling film evap, before SPD

Any benefits to doing this? Just chasing a theory.

Vacuum oil life. If you’re not using a wiper residual solvent isn’t a huge issue.

3 Likes

So nothing of value worth specifically buying a rotovap setup for, when you’re already running an expensive ass FFE, AND SPD?

sort of depends how much solvent is in your crude after your FFE.

you may not need one, but it might safe you enough solvent (and vac pump oil) to be worth the price of admission and operator time.

lots of folks use them. many push their FFE’s to get more solvent out instead.

2 Likes

Well it’s a capna ares, so unless the actual effectiveness of the capna line - rather than just the hefty price tag - is in question, then I can’t imagine it would be necessary just for the sake of the additional recovery. Handful of processors I’ve spoken to have posited that SPD should have enough heat to burn off any lingering solvents.

Almost all falling films dup off 5-15% solvent content depending on what ffe. You still need a roto to properly dry out oil and even decarb under vac if you hack the roto. Ffe to spd will make your life harder.

2 Likes

I agree I wouldn’t want to be pulling all that solvent off in your SPD setup

2 Likes

Okay awesome, thank you for the feedback. Babysitting mad scientists should not be the job of a man so uneducated as me :sweat_smile: thanks for having my back people!!

1 Like

:thinking: lack of a competent handler is one of the things that makes me unemployable :shushing_face:

right @doc?

2 Likes

the cheap ones don’t require a hack :wink:

1 Like

regarding decarb and further solvent removal via rotovap after FFE… can you give me your personal specs on vac and heat and duration. How long, at what temp, and vac do you perform this personally? Any response appreciated… just trying to compare with someone who is a believer in this additional step of solvent recovery.

1 Like