Used or spent biomass disposal Iso extraction

Hi guys I’m trying to figure out a good way to dispose of spent biomass. I’m hoping to find secondary uses if anyone can help Guide me. Thank you in advance

water it down and compost it

5 Likes

Should specify location and how much you have or are continuing to produce (lbs per day/week/month etc). Is it relatively dry and solvent free (run thru screw press or centrifuge)? Secondary uses include compost and animal feed but buyers are often selective depending on whats still in it, how its been stored, etc.

3 Likes

I am in in SoCal processing roughly 1000lbs weekly has anybody explored the idea of turning used biomass into fuel? Any access iso could possibly used as fuel as well as the biomass itself.

Search results for 'spent biomass' - Future4200 might be worth exploring…

2 Likes

we run our post extraction biomass threw a screwpress collect the screw oil, run the screw oil threw a large Buckner with filter paper to remove silt and particulate then oil washes threw to collection flask vac assist, once flask is full pour back into etoh tank to be ran threw cold Etoh extract, then to evaporator to collect ethanol , crude then gets pass in Short path and 2 passes on Wiped film to be used for reaction chamber for isolate.

4 Likes

What kind of yields are you getting?

1 Like

30 gal of screw oil from cherry candy Hemp returned 3.2 liters crude and to go threw 1 pass on short path, 2 passes on pope 2" WF I will post numbers after each pass

4 Likes

@Koipower420 Are you centrifuging the biomass after crude extraction or putting it straight into the screwpress?

we are using washers not a fancy centrifuge although it would be ideal I’m working with what I was provided with and want to make sure to get everything out of the material. I want to figure out if I can safely remove iso to see if I can create a material that would be safe and beneficial to compost for farming.

We’re building a spent biomass collection operation. Lmk if you’re interested.

3 Likes

@psychonaut currently we are putting it straight in press pulp gets separated into totes that then gets disposed for compost to a local farm. the press oil then goes threw multiple filtration before returning to evaporator. that crude is always ran separately threw short path and wiped film but we keep track of the numbers as a batch from biomass it came from. we want to get away and go centrifuge much cleaner and be easier to filter prior to the evaporator.

1 Like

Would you still take the spent Mass after it gone through screwpress? the ground up is pretty pulpy like sawdust in away.

1 Like

make a dryer for post extracted biomass, pelletize, sell as heat pellets.

7 Likes

@OBXtracts yea I have been running that threw my head, my issue is that’s one more process I would have to operate and at moment I am managing a 40 acre hemp field so I have really no time to jump into it, but definitely going to research and start writing a procedure to do a line feed from screw press to dryer then to a pelletizer. I’m thinking just spent biomass alone is not going to do well as pellets but a 15-20% combination of another great source for for pellets would be ideal. :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, we would.

That’s my thought process spent trim thru screw press and maybe the spent material can then be turned to compost or building materials maybe? We need to stop dumping and create new life with our by products

4 Likes

I totally agree. but in my opinion using it for compost is one of the least useful uses. I love the idea of using it in conjunction with insulation material for buildings. but research still needs to be done in how compressed it needs to be to be used as decent insulation. I think someone on this forum was talking about using it for that, I can not remember where about I read that though.

We certainly won’t be using it for compost. Pm with zip code and volume to get rates for pickup.

pics? capacity restraint?