USDA Establishes Domestic Hemp Production Program

It’s not hard if you meet the criteria. Class B felony was 10 years with no trouble, $1500 to a lawyer and a visit to the court that convicted me.

Look into what it takes in your state. We’ve paid our “debt” to society…get those right back.

5 Likes

is this only growers, or does it apply to processors as well

1 Like

Nothing mentioned about processors yet… just growers

1 Like

You handle hemp, so yeah you gotta register with the USDA. And you’re going to generate waste THC, so you gotta register with the DEA as well.

A USDA 60-day comment period for hemp is getting released today. Use the Overton Window and push for 1% total THC, or even better “CBD:THC ratio >1” like the UN. Test the whole plant not just top 2 inches. Test within 60 days planting not 15 of harvesting. Be only concerned with psychoactive compounds, like Delta9. Define by end-use. No regulations on fiber. No test if needed if less than 2 acres. Remediation allowed. No mandatory certified seed, but provide a path to certifying new varieties. No exorbitant fees. Allow “felon rehabilitation” programs. Encourage exports. Crop and water programs. Marketing programs. Agronomists. Grant and research dollars. FDA Grandfather. Allow smokable. Etc.

Help slam that Overton Window hard to the left. If they get enough comments, they’ll have to listen. Years ago we changed the course of the USDA organic program, with 100,000 comments. We can do that here too.

9 Likes

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=AMS_FRDOC_0001-1919

From now until December 31st they’re open for comments. It’s obvious that we all have some serious concerns regarding the specifics of the draft. I think it’s important we compile these concerns and submit them in a concise and professional manner. Right now I see some of the big issues are:

• Criminal background checks to grow an agricultural commodity crop. If politicians are going to pat themselves on the back for opening up the economy to this commodity, they should treat it like any other commodity.

• Clarification of testing requirements/standards. Especially with the rule regarding testing tolerences, what is considered an acceptable tolerance?

• How do they plan to address the lack of DEA/USDA approved testing facilities? If they have a 15-day harvest testing window, what if logistically it’s impossible for an approved entity to come take a sample, test it, and report back to you in 15 days? This is especially applicable to my company in Indiana because the industry here is seriously behind all of our state neighbors.

• What is up with the complete lack of mention of processors? I get the USDA is focused on agriculture, but as it stands it seems like they’re proposing a flat 0.3% THC limit on EVERYTHING which would make processing not viable. We definitely need some clarification on that point, especially considering there are plenty of THC-legal states out there (whether the federal government acknowledges it or not).

This is just what I can come up with during my own reading of the paper. What else am I missing?

1 Like

30% here in colorado, They allow a 15% variance either way for cannabis.

1 Like

as someone whos done cannabis analytics via hplc hundreds if not thousands of times, 30%RSD is the cringiest thing i have ever heard

7 Likes

You’re telling me! Absolutely ridiculous! And still no required pesticide testing for concentrates. State refuses to acknowledge that growers will have contaminated plants below the threshold of testing and once they’ve been concentrated they’ll be in the ppm range. Baby steps.

2 Likes

Where do we leave comments?

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=AMS_FRDOC_0001-1919

this is what I found. There might be others

1 Like

4 Likes

Please submit your comments to the USDA proposed draft hemp rules.

1 Like

I have someone wanting to sell me seeds of a Watermelon strain. It has .323 Total THC but he is saying it will test within range because THCA only decarboxylates around 70%. I am inclined to call BS.

Looks like that’s already post-decarb figure stands .323. THCa is at .368, times .877. Though most states don’t count into the 100th percent, so .39 and below is still “.3”. Usually.

2 Likes

Do you know if PA goes to the 100th percent or where to find that info? @coppertop

That’s good to know. Still seems like risky genetics to mess with accounting for fertilizer fluctuations, drought etc.

The .877 that most states are using is in a perfect chemistry world hplc dont decarb and use this formula based off perfect chemistry.
In the real world like smoking it or a GC test where the sample actually gets decarbed the figure is more like 67-73 percent

You will probably be alright with the THC level, but unless you are getting them close to free, why you would want seeds of a relatively unknown strain testing out at 9.85% CBD that might be hot for THC is a mystery to me… I’ve heard of Watermelon testing over 20% CBD fyi

2 Likes

Do eeeet. I have some ideas… and I can supply bioreactor equipment and teach people how to do some proper Liquid Cultures, psilocybe is a wonderful genus, but we don’t have to limit ourselves; there is an endless continuum of fungi and microbes at our disposal to culture during our stay here on 𝕤𝕡𝕒𝕔𝕖𝕤𝕙𝕚𝕡 𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕙.

I need to talk shop with @Killa12345 to design some safe and affordable autoclaves from 55 gallon stainless drums; stove-top pressure cookers max out at like 20L.

Something like this but an actual salable product:

10 Likes