Undercut the shortpath market! Open source and non-chinese!

Just thought of something relevant… What about a dry ice sleeve for a cold trap receiving flask?? Like a regular RBF with a beaker-like attachment to add dry ice in between.

1 Like

Why not use stainless steel for the cold trap?

With ss you could get a bigger cold trap for the same amount of money as a glass one, also gives you the added benefit of being able to open it up and put some type of loose packing material inside the cold trap.

Does anyone think the triclamp gaskets would be a source of vacuum leaks?

3 Likes

The best cold traps are stainless cans for sure, glass is just cheaper and simpler.

3 Likes

I’ve been mulling it over, can probably build something from stainless for $400 that would be huge surface area relatively speaking.

That sounds about right. Vacuuum hoses or stainless? I usually build a stainless trap but use vacuum hoses, a compromise for sure but okay.

2 Likes

We’ll we’re gonna need some flexibility in setup regardless. Probably vacuum tube with kf25 for a couple spots.

1 Like

Any pics of the stainless with the vacuum hose?

I am responsible for designing and purchasing a start-up CBD extraction/distillation project in the midwest. I’ve been doggedly researching this forum for weeks while logistics are being solved. Currently, I am heavily leaning toward a very affordable kit option, but I would be interested in seeing where this project goes.

2 Likes

I am from Canada and agree we are getting hit with huge mark ups on equipment. I need a full scale system to take me from extraction through to distillate .

You can email me at. matheson783@gmail.com and perhaps I can learn a bit from the experienced and get hooked up with some great equipment and knowledge.

1 Like

Hey guys, I’m gonna get a standard short path price off the bat to get this ball rolling.

Are you looking for 2L or 5L or 20L?

here is some pricing ive received from a US scientific glass company using schott and pyrex glass vs good quality (from what ive researched) custom chinese

1L RBF
US: 100.00 CN: 24.00
2L RBF
US: 130.00 CN: 35.00
5L RBF
US: 185.00 CN: 80.00

Custom SPD head
US: 478.00 CN: 185.00

Full Bore 1L cold trap
US: 439.00 CN: 230.00

Full Bore Isolation adapter / Mono Cow
US: 396.00 CN: 135.00

5 Likes

Thx! Super useful info.

Is the Chinese glass currently in the states? So shipping wouldn’t be exorbitant?

1 Like

I just picked up 2x 2 neck 24/40 rbf for 40 each
China glass

3 Likes

I think I’ll need to craft something a bit more clever then to set myself apart :slight_smile: I’ll work on a prototype of the flat bottom 5L with the oil jacket and probably go for perfectly consistent heating setup. Need to assemble some temperature controllers and a pump system.

I’ll probably have a working prototype in a month if anyone is ok with waiting :slight_smile:

The pricing I’d be able to do is probably 15% under the American prices listed above there on some pieces. I’ll have a solidified price list next week.

1 Like

Sounds pretty sweet. I have a fairly complex SPD design I will be making shortly. I was thinking about having it sourced in China but the way it needs to be constructed the SPD head itself may need to be made here in the states with quality Glass

1 Like

Well if you want I can get a price quote from my guys up here as well. Myself & them would be happy to sign an NDA as well

I’m gonna play around with my “long path” as well. Make a tall head with dephleg to really get proper reflux going. I’m hoping that’ll allow first pass to always be gold and not need to worry about the stink either.

Distillation in theory should be able to separate all colors and everything out in a single pass.

4 Likes

We use tri-clamp kf-40 fittings at 10-6 Torr. No problem.

3 Likes

@tweedledew Would these guys be able to make a vacuum isolation receiver as well? Like the one below, but 24/40 joints all around. They’d be able to undercut the shit out of the American glass companies offering this. And technically be “American” glass (North America). :wink:

https://www.ebay.com/i/273624799635?chn=ps

I think it would be around $375-390 + shipping (20$?).

What are people getting these for right now?