Turbine Pump Chllers? (polyscience 6106)

Hey guys I have some questions on “turbine pump” chillers. Do they offer any advantage over other non-turbine chillers? I have a good deal on a Polyscience 6106 (-10 - 40C) that I want to couple with a 10L rotovap.

If anyone with some experience in this department can chime in I’d really appreciate it. I’ve done the thermo calcs and those seem to check out, but I’d love to hear a first hand account.

Thanks to all,
HK

3 Likes

Bump. Any Experience with Polyscience 6106 chillers?

Yup, they are bad ass, high flow rate, high pressure (100psi capable) units. I have set up the 6160T → Exergy counter flow coil for post-Haskel pump hydrocarbon condensation and chilling on an Iron Fist EX20 and it’s a great unit for the job. Also used a bigger Durachill 6860T 1 1/2 hp for the same task on an Iron Fist EX40’s tube and shell condenser. In my opinion the 6160 is actually the better unit for the task, particularly with propane heavy solvent blends. 15ºC greater chilling capability, although its lower powered. And I have not tried it on a larger machine. I would lean towards water chilled over air cooled, if feasible.

Haven’t used one on a rotary evaporator. I’m sure you’d want to reduce the unit’s operating pressure for glass. I left it on maximum for stainless steel. Pretty ‘set it and forget it’ units.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply!
I found a similarly priced 6160

And here’s the 6106 I was originally considering:

They’re both in the 1500 - 1800 dollar range but seem pretty dated. Think that’s a reasonable or good price? also, could you clarify what you meant by leaning towards water chilled vs air chilled? I appreciate the input!

Thanks,
-HK

1 Like

Not familiar with those particular units but I’d guess those are probably just slightly older, different color scheme than the models I’ve used. Be best to consult product literature and look at their specifications to see if they have the chilling power your task requires.
I’m of no help on pricing, just on operation.

These guys exchange heat with either air or water. Most are air cooled. If you are in a large cool room with tons of airflow, don’t worry about it. If an air cooled chiller is in a smaller space or warm environment, its efficiency will be lowered. Its worth considering water cooled if you are in a facility that uses much water (ie a grow) or if the chiller will be in a confined / warm space.

Gotcha, thanks. I don’t quite understand how they can achieve sub freezing coolant temps by exchanging heat with air or water though (since it seems like with water as the coolant it would freeze and air wouldn’t be efficient enough). I suppose the water could be under pressure to lower the freeze point. Regardless, point taken and I appreciate the information!

Thanks,
HK

Water or air is not the refrigerant. It is the medium used to cool the condenser.

When you are looking at these types of chillers you will often see a power rating in HP. The 6160 is a 1HP chiller. The 6860 is a 1 1/2HP unit. That is the power rating of the compressor which compresses the refrigerant (“low side”) after its warmed across the heat exchanger. Now the refrigerant is a hot gas. It needs to be cooled down so that it may condense in a liquid and have the potential for evaporative cooling again. This hot refrigerant can be cooled down with either air or water. For air cooled chillers, the warmer the environment the chiller lives in, the worse its efficiency will be.

The greater the amount you need to chill, the more heat the compressor will generate.

1 Like

You don’t want them for glass coil condensers. They usually have about a 30PSI max before risk of breaking. You’ll have to turn them down to operate the rotovap. They also will burst the non braided silicone tubing or create a bubble. Get the centrifugal pumps. They usually have a good flow rate but less pressure.

2 Likes

@goldleaf_scientific

Thanks guys