Trs21 pump problems

Lmaoo as you can guess by the title I’m having troubles with one of my trs21 pumps, it wont run! I can hear it switch on whem I flip the swifch but it does literally nothing but hum? Anyone run into the same problem? I know they’re extremely cheaply made and go out constantly but they’re what I have to work with lol

1 Like

what is the high/low pressure? could be stalled?

Could be, how would I go about correcting that?

I forget, does the TRS-21 even have a high pressure cutoff?!?

Yeah, google says 550 PSI. With a LED to tell the monkey they should be extra careful now…

https://www.google.com/search?q=trs-21+high+pressure+cuttoff

Is the LED lit?

3 Likes

by lowering the outlet pressure with a condenser of some sort. Does it run without any pressure on it?

1 Like

Nope it literally just turns on and hums no solvent in the lines

sounds like it’s time to tear it apart. the rebuild kit for those things is pretty cheap & easy to install. if it’s physically stopped, then it may be toast. no harm it dismantling at that point. understanding how it failed might be informative.

1 Like

I could be wrong but humming of an electric motor means it’s burnt out, the brushes are too oxidized. I’d tear her apart, they are very easy [Right here :wink:] could be some oil seizing the pistons or the seals managed to be mangled and seize it. (https://www.instructables.com/id/CPS-TRS-21-piston-inspection-and-maintenance/)
Hope this helps

3 Likes

nah, they stop humming once the smoke gets out.

Humming generally means it’s trying to do what you asked, and having a hard time.

make it do that for very long, and it may well “burn out”, possibly with flames and stuff :wink:

2 Likes

sounds like you need a magic smoke refill!:rofl:

2 Likes

The thing is only 2 weeks old​:roll_eyes::roll_eyes: fuckin aye, so would a cold trap before the pump stop oil from seizing up the pump again?

1 Like

That definitely sounds like it injested extract…

If you’re lucky you might not have actually broken anything.

A cold trap is not the right solution, although I highly recommend a cold condenser coil AFTER the pump.

Your molsieve should be inline before the pump. Gas in at the bottom & out at the top. Much harder for pump to injest extract…,

1 Like

Try putting the pump in a warmer place if it does have oil in it should loosen up a bit to give you an idea if that’s the problem or you can always send it to the best pump guy on the west coast. @ Larry the pump guy. He might not be on here but check him out on Ig he’s the only one I trust with mine and does top notch work.

1 Like

Before or after to lower the pressure it encounters, the pump is raited for liquid.
But is that actually the issue? The pump should “breathe” when plugged in and connected to 0 psi right? If is dosen’t move anything then I agree with @cyclopath

rebuild time?Or least an exploratory surgery is needed, there most likely is a machanical explination for this failure.
Get a manual outTRS21-Series_Product-Manual (1).pdf (1.0 MB)
https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/tr21x2-complete-rebuild-kit.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsKifrPON3gIVjLlkCh19Rg72EAQYAiABEgItm_D_BwE
https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/trs21-valve-rebuild-kit.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsKifrPON3gIVjLlkCh19Rg72EAQYASABEgJjwfD_BwE

now rip into the bad boy and figure exactally whats wrong with it, find the parts and re install them.
take pictures of the entire dissasembly so they can be re assembled correctally.
place small parts in sandwich bags to keep parts groups together.

2 Likes

Why are you guys so amazing? Thank you, however bosses dont trust me enough to rebuild so they’re going to exchange it. Will need to get more beads for our molecular sieve to prevent further ingestion of oil. Thanks again guys!

1 Like

Don’t start it under pressure. I haven’t used them that much but that was definitely an issue for us. Starting it up with no pressure in the lines worked like a charm for us. I hope that helps you.

How would that work? They work on the back pressure from a vessel? Like how a haskel needs a air compressor TRS pumps need back pressure, or so I thought. Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong!!

Pnumatic pumps use air to drive the piston, an electric pump uses a electric moror to do the same thing. If the pressure inside the pump is more than the force that the pump is exerting the pump will not move. That is a condition refered to as a stall. Imagine putting all your energy into moving a heavy rock, if the rock is too heavy you cannot push it. Same goes for you pump, the greater the differental of pressure the more work the pump needs to put out.

1 Like

Will try running my pumps right when my collection pot goes into the hot water bath today and see how that works🤘

Do you have a guage on your tank and collection pot? Let us know what your high/low side pressures are. We can better assist you.