Trouble Shooting Vacuum Leaks B/R

I’ve been working with the B/r spinning band for the last few months and lately have found that vac checks aren’t checking out. Clean, dry, seemingly tight system pulling down only to .35-.21. Drained/ filled/ drained/ filled the pump. Ran the purge valve open for a couple of hours. Checked all the seals.

What am I missing here?

Even .35-.21 is pretty bad. I would contact James at B/R or Lucid Oil on IG

Just direct mounted the vac sensors to the pump. Reading .23 Seems to be the pump.

1 Like

did u try helium? i posted a video a while ago about finding leaks using helium form a youtube channel called applied science. Its the first thing i use now to check for leaks

4 Likes

I haven’t tried helium. Once I can get this pump cleared I’ll give it a try. Thank you.

We have several operators using this system, and my guess is that someone didn’t let the cold trap come to temp before pulling ethanol/ terps.

what are the glass-on-glass joints like? O-rings? Do they offer a stainless steel unit? (i believe they do) If so, what are the connections like on that?

The 50L unit is steel. They use a boro coated heating element instead of a mantle, which is pretty nice. The flask-column joint looks like triclamp/collar.

1 Like

@hambread

Sending you some info on some steps you can take. It has some fill in sections to help us understand what exactly the problem is.

4 Likes

Thank you for being so responsive!

1 Like

Hows the B/R been? We are looking at the 22L fully automation. Would love input

Automated is the only way to go. The interface is easy to use and you can have relatively unskilled labor operate the gear under supervision.

2 Likes

Try making sure the nut on your carousel isn’t loose as well as the mks vacuum valves they use leak and you can plug them once you close the vac fully. You just add a tube and a plug on the end of them. I’ve seen loudandclear plug his with tubes with sharpies shoved in them haha.

1 Like

Honestly have had tons and tons of success with my manual version. takes more attention, but once you get the hang of it, its consistent. and $30k less… with the option to always upgrade in the future

2 Likes

You have any interest in training me on my B/R’s? I have both manual and auto setups. 2-21’s & 1- 8. I’m in Ne England. Thx.

J

Any chance I could get a copy of this check sheet? :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah send an email to mark.schmidt@brinstrument.com

2 Likes

Even checking the grease on the thermowell on your pot flask is a good idea. I had that problem after regreasing and not doing a thorough job of it. A little dab will do ya though!

1 Like

hey how are you? I’m having trouble getting my vacuum down to under 800 microns. The pump is fine, i just must have a leak somewhere but can not figure out where! Any tricks you can pass along on how to find leaks Thanks

1 Like

Valve off whole system an work your way back from the pump to get idea where leak is. The cold trap is supper often suspect. Wrap paper towel where ice forms above cold trap** Clean all connections an properly greese. Replace gaskets like every 3d run** replace plastic hose an add clamps to them as well. Replace pump oil after every run. Clean seals on collections pot. Finding the leaks on the BR can be rly fun…clean everything rly well before every run…
Good luck!

1 Like