Tricks of the trade

Stop cutting parchment paper. You have no idea how easy life is with these

https://www.amazon.com/Worthy-Liners-Parchment-Paper-Sheets/dp/B00O6LEKIC

22 Likes

Good price!!!

1 Like

I pinch the corners with a paper clip and setting up for a pour has never been easier. All perfect sized and everything

6 Likes

:roll_eyes::open_mouth:

Know when to hold them and know when to fold them… in my lab you got to know when to walk away and know when to run…

14 Likes

Shortpath insulation

4 Likes

That parch sticks. At least the 4x4 ones do. They don’t seem like they have silicone on them

I get them to flip fine and don’t get much sticking. Really tacky ones will, but that’s normal

You definitely don’t want them to have silicone on them.

2 Likes

What do you think parchment paper is? It’s paper with a very fine layer of silicone. Google will answer all your questions

Parchment paper
Modern parchment paper is made by running sheets of paper pulp through a bath of sulfuric acid[1] (a method similar to how tracing paper is made) or sometimes zinc chloride. This process partially dissolves or gelatinizes the paper. This treatment forms a sulfurized cross-linked material with high density, stability, and heat resistance, and low surface energy—thereby imparting good non-stick or release properties. The treated paper has an appearance similar to that of traditional parchment, and because of its stability is sometimes used for legal purposes where traditional parchment was used.

Bakery release paper
The stickless properties can be also achieved by employing a coated paper, for which a suitable release agent—a coating with a low surface energy and capability to withstand the temperatures involved in the baking or roasting process—is deposited onto the paper’s surface; silicone (cured with a suitable catalyst) is frequently used.

Silicone coated parchment paper is in the do not use category due to the silicone’s solubility in butane during purging which means silicone in your dabs.

7 Likes

I’m telling you it’s treated with silicone. If it’s not it’s not parchment paper. :man_shrugging:

Apparently why I quit using parchment paper and went to PTFE paper…my mind must have new that’s why it was ABSORBING my terps!

4 Likes

That Martha Stewart article is just furthering the common misconception mentioned in this thread and in this blog.

My previous reply was quoted directly from,

Parchment Paper(Wikipedia)

and if we look at the ‘Baking Sheets’ vs ‘Parchment Paper’ on the SAGA website here we can see one is clearly labeled as being coated in silicone, which though not a guarantee points at there being no coating on the other.

Now, after looking into the ones recommended earlier, are you aware the ones you linked are silicone and/or quillon coated @Dred_pirate?

They mention it on the Worthy Liners webpage here.

Maybe a good alternative would be something like:

https://www.amazon.com/Baar-Products-8540-Patapar-Paper/dp/B001YIRZ28

A Bear Products listing claiming to use no silicone or quilon.

6 Likes

Anybody can type anything on Wikipedia. Not a credible source. Ever

4 Likes

Maybe it depends on what company made the parchment, as it used to be made from animal skin I’d say the name has been somewhat universal…

Silicone is part of this process @ like 2:45-2:55

2 Likes

I use vehicle oil filter pliers to open and close my ethanol containers. It keeps the lids nice and tight and you aren’t breaking your hands in the process.

32 Likes

Nice :grinning:

1 Like

Wikipedia has been ranked as accurate as Encyclopedia Britannica, and if you make a change to an important article that is easily verified, mods usually change it back within 24 hours, even less if what you changed had a citation that was peer reviewed. Wikipedia only sucks for things that don’t have citations. It can be a very credible source, especially for science related things.

3 Likes

As for tricks of the trade, I pull patties like taffy instead of whipping them to make crumble, it is so much easier to do, especially when changing unstable shatter to crumble.

9 Likes